Hamilton disqualified from Australian GP for giving misleading informationApril 2nd, 2009 - 5:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 2 (ANI): Lewis Hamilton and his team McLaren have been excluded from classification in the Australian grand prix for providing evidence deliberately misleading to the stewards at the hearing on March 29 and the British driver has been stripped of his third place.
The FIA ruled that Hamilton provided misleading information on the circumstances, which led to Toyota’s Jarno Trulli being demoted from his third place finish.
The FIA examined “new evidence” that came to light regarding exactly what went on when Hamilton and Trulli were battling for third and fourth positions under safety car conditions at the Albert Park circuit last Sunday.
Hamilton had finished the race fourth overall, but was promoted to the podium after reporting Trulli of illegal overtaking, SKY News reported.
McLaren accused the Italian driver of passing Hamilton while a safety car was on the track on lap 57.
Trulli was subsequently slapped with a 25-second penalty, which saw him relegated to 12th.
He has been reinstated to third place.
Britain’s Jenson Button, driving for the new Brawn team, won the opening race of the season ahead of his Brazilian teammate Rubens Barrichello. (ANI)
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- Lie-Gate scandal a stepping-stone in my life: Hamilton - Mar 25, 2010
- Hamilton third at Australia GP as Trulli is penalized - Mar 29, 2009
- Red Bull's Vettel wins Japanese Grand Prix - Oct 10, 2010
- Vettel wins from pole in Suzuka, opens title race - Oct 04, 2009
- Hamilton tops first training in China GP - Apr 17, 2009
- Formula 1: Button gets pole again, Ferrari, McLaren lag behind - Apr 04, 2009
- New venues invariably slotted at end - Oct 25, 2011
- Red Bull's Vettel wins European Grand Prix - Jun 27, 2010
- Webber wins Hungarian GP - Aug 01, 2010
- Alonso fastest in Belgian Grand Prix practice - Aug 27, 2010
- Raikkonen wins Belgium GP, Force India get first points - Aug 30, 2009
- Button wins Australian Grand Prix - Mar 29, 2009
- Nicole back in McLaren paddock - Mar 17, 2012
- Hamilton blames 'cruel luck' for Hockenheim fiasco - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: albert park, albert park circuit, australian gp, australian grand prix, brawn, fia, information london, italian driver, jarno trulli, jenson button, last sunday, lewis hamilton, new evidence, podium, rubens barrichello, safety car, sky news, stewards, team mclaren, teammate