Hamilton blames ‘cruel luck’ for Hockenheim fiascoJuly 23rd, 2012 - 3:46 pm ICT by IANS
Hockenheim (Germany) July 23 (IANS/CMC) McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton has cursed his “cruel luck” after a puncture and then gearbox problems forced him to retire in the Formula One German Grand Prix won by Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso.
The 27-year-old Hamilton started from the fourth row but picked up a puncture on the second lap which saw him slip back down the field, CMC reports.
He eventually limped out on the 58th lap as Alonso went on to take his third win of the season.
“My second-lap puncture was incredibly unfortunate. There was debris scattered across the full width of the track and I didn’t have any option other than to drive straight through it,” said Hamilton.
“What’s more frustrating is that, at the time, I was the eighth car through - so to be the one to get the puncture is just cruel luck. It was immediately clear that my car didn’t feel the same after the puncture.
“However, after a few laps, I was able to adapt my driving style, and the car had good pace during the middle stint.”
His teammate Jenson Button finished third but was promoted to second after World champion Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull was handed a 20-second penalty and demoted to third.
With the failure, Hamilton slipped to fifth in the drivers’ championship, 62 points adrift of leader Alonso with 154.
- Hamilton feeling 'phenomenal' after Montreal win - Jun 12, 2012
- German GP: Alonso cruises to season's third win - Jul 22, 2012
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- Webber wins Hungarian GP - Aug 01, 2010
- Hamilton eyes victories in Abu Dhabi, Brazil - Nov 06, 2011
- Button fastest in rain-hit German Grand Prix first practice - Jul 20, 2012
- Button wins in chaotic Belgian GP - Sep 02, 2012
- Maldonado tops second practice at wet Hockenheim - Jul 20, 2012
- Red Bull's Vettel wins Australian Grand Prix - Mar 27, 2011
- Webber secures elusive win in Brazil, Force India end season on a high - Nov 28, 2011
- Vettel wins Bahrain GP, Force India's Di Resta finishes sixth - Apr 23, 2012
- Hamilton glides to Monza victory - Sep 09, 2012
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Ferrari's Alonso wins Italian GP - Sep 13, 2010
- Vettel wins a near perfect race, Sutil finishes ninth (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2011
Tags: bs, debris, drivers championship, fernando alonso, ferrari, fiasco, formula one, gearbox, gearbox problems, german grand prix, jenson button, laps, lewis hamilton, pace, puncture, red bull, sebastian vettel, stint, teammate, world champion