Hamilton admits he is not perfectMay 22nd, 2009 - 6:23 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 22 (ANI): Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton has put his nightmare start to the season behind him, admitting that he is not perfect.
Hamilton has seen his hopes of retaining the title vanish in the wake of fellow Brit Jenson Button’s storming exploits.
Hamilton was also caught up in controversy off the track after admitting he lied to race stewards at the opening race in Australia, The Sun reports.
He knows his image suffered as a result of the scandal, which saw his McLaren team receive a three-race suspended ban for trying to gain an extra point.
But Hamilton, 24, reckons the tough times will benefit him as a person. “I am definitely stronger. I am not perfect. I am not a politician. I say things wrong every now and then.”
“But you try to learn and to take these experiences with you and try to grow. I won the world championship, which is something I am very, very proud to have. It’s just taking time to analyse what’s gone on and then be able to grow from it.
“You can’t just move on. You have to analyse it and that’s what we’ve tried to do. I feel as a driver that if I had last year’s car, I would be in a great position,” Hamilton added.
Hamilton, who earns around 15million pound a year, insists he is no sporting superstar despite having a pop-star girlfriend in Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger.
“I think what people don’t realise is that while it looks glamorous as a sport and while we look like superstars, we lead pretty normal lives. We might go on a nicer holiday, which I am sure is nice, but our normal lives are the same as everyone else’s.
Hamilton heads into Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix trailing Button by 32 points with 12 races left. (ANI)
- Scherzinger thanks pal Will.i.am for making Formula 1 fun - Mar 01, 2011
- McLaren-Mercedes eyeing win at Indian GP - Oct 28, 2011
- Hamilton wants Moscow F1 night race - Jul 15, 2012
- Button signs new contract with McLaren - Oct 05, 2011
- Button vows to overcome practice flop to win British GP - Jul 10, 2010
- 'Sulking' Button determined to work a*** off to retain F1 title - Aug 03, 2010
- 'Bond' Button and 'villain' Hamilton dismiss Webber's suggestions of messy spat - Jul 09, 2010
- Ferrari's Alonso wins Italian GP - Sep 13, 2010
- Nicole back in McLaren paddock - Mar 17, 2012
- McLaren 'love-in' between Hamilton and Button will turn sour: Webber - Jul 08, 2010
- Button vows to overcome British Grand Prix jinx - Jul 04, 2010
- 'I am better, but Vettel is winning due to his much quicker car,' says Hamilton - Apr 16, 2011
- Vettel wins a near perfect race, Sutil finishes ninth (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2011
- Narain just unlucky to be in one of the slowest cars: Button - Oct 28, 2011
- Nicole Scherzinger confirmed as the next 'X Factor' guest judge - May 29, 2012
Tags: controversy, exploits, extra point, fellow brit, formula one, girlfriend, jenson button, lewis hamilton, mclaren team, monaco grand prix, nightmare, politician, pop star, pussycat doll nicole, scandal, stewards, superstar, superstars, taking time, tough times