Hamburg earns second victory in BundesligaOctober 17th, 2011 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, Oct 17 (IANS) Struggling Bundesliga football club Hamburg was able to seal its second victory in nine games with a 2-1 win over Freiburg, while German international Lukas Podolski scored a brace to wrap Cologne’s 2-0 defeat of Hannover.
In a rough match with many fouls, Cologne was able to seal the fourth match of the season against Hannover. Cologne striker Podolski brought his side up front when he hammered a dead ball goal into bottom left with 24 minutes into the match.
After interval, Hannover took over but their goal in the 71st minute through midfielder Sergio Pinto was denied due to an alleged offside position. Hannover relentlessly pressed for the equaliser but Podolski destroyed all their hopes when he scored with a tremendous shot from penalty area to seal the issue for his team,” Xinhua reported.
Cologne jumps from 12th to 10th position in the Bundesliga standings with 13 points while Hannover slipped from 5th to 7th with 15 points.
Hamburg sealed their second win of the season as midfielder Ivo Ilicevic scored the decider. Hamburg striker Heung Min Son shocked hosts Freiburg with the opener when he exploited a follow up shot by header from a very close range.
Freiburg remained unfazed and was able to level the score in the 47th minute as Freiburg’s top striker Papiss Demba Cisse slotted home a cross to equalise.
Freiburg remained active and aggressive but their poor chance conversion was punished by an effective Hamburg. Ilicevic scored the second goal.
Freiburg had a golden chance to tie in the 81st minute but striker Cisse pulled the penalty just wide to give a struggling Hamburg three crucial points. Hamburg stays at the bottom of the standings with seven points while Freiburg slipped from 15th to 17th position, also with seven points.
- Cologne, Bremen celebrate goal festival at Bundesliga - Dec 11, 2011
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- Schalke, Hannover grab victories in German Bundesliga - Mar 19, 2012
- Dortmund defeat Freiburg, Nuremberg stun Leverkusen in Bundesliga - Dec 18, 2011
- Hannover defeat Monchengladbach 2-1 in Bundesliga - Apr 03, 2012
- Dortmund share point with Nuremberg - Sep 02, 2012
- Monchengladbach draw with Hamburg in Bundesliga - Feb 25, 2012
- Mainz shock Stuttgart 3-1 in Bundesliga - Nov 05, 2011
- Bayern stage faultless performance to stay on top - Sep 25, 2011
- Mainz share points with Hoffenheim in Bundesliga - Feb 18, 2012
- Newcastle seals deal with Cisse - Jan 18, 2012
- Wolfsburg edge out Freiburg 3-2 - Feb 11, 2012
- Bayern Munich extend lead in Bundesliga with win over Augsburg - Nov 07, 2011
- Hamburg seal late win over Cologne in Bundesliga - Feb 13, 2012
- Schalke and Hannover tie match 2-2 - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: bundesliga, close range, club hamburg, cologne, decider, equaliser, football club, fouls, freiburg, golden chance, hannover, interval, lukas podolski, match, offside position, pinto, seven points, striker, victory, xinhua