Hamburg beat Bielefeld, move to third place in BundesligaFebruary 16th, 2009 - 2:19 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg, Feb 16 (DPA) SV Hamburg moved to third place in the standings after beating Arminia Bielefeld 2-0 in the German Bundesliga.
In the other game Sunday, Borussia Dortmund were held to a 1-1 at home by struggling Energie Cottbus.
Snow in Hamburg made conditions difficult for the players and it was a mistake from Bielefeld goalkeeper Dennis Eilhoff that gifted Hamburg the opening goal.
Eilhoff came out of his goals in the 32nd minute to meet a Piotr Trochowski freekick, but completely misjudged the ball and could do nothing as the ball sailed over his head into the back of the net to give the home side the opening goal.
The visitors should have equalized in the 55th minute after being awarded a penalty for a foul by Alex Silva on Robert Tesche, but Artur Wichniarek saw his weak shot saved by Hamburg goalkeeper Frank Rost.
Just five minutes later Paolo Guerrero doubled Hamburg’s lead after being set up through a header from Ivica Olic. Guerrero managed to evade Tesche and delicately curled the ball past Eilhoff.
Bielefeld’s Zambian striker Christopher Katongo, who had already come close with a long range effort shortly before the break, nearly pulled one back for his side in the 71st minute, but blasted his shot over the cross bar.
In Dortmund, Cottbus took the lead in the 31st minute after Ervin Skela’s corner was cleared back to the striker and his shot crashed against the upright, only to fall to Atan Cagdas. The Turkish defender made no mistake from close range.
Cagdas gave away a penalty just five minutes later when he wrestled with Sebastian Kehl in his area and referee Peter Sippel pointed to the spot.
Swiss international Alexander Frei made no mistake to give his side a share of the spoils.
Dortmund ended the game with ten men after Lee Young-Pyo was red carded in injury time for kicking Cottbus substitute Savo Pavicevic deep into injury time.
- Dortmund share point with Nuremberg - Sep 02, 2012
- Dortmund defeat Freiburg, Nuremberg stun Leverkusen in Bundesliga - Dec 18, 2011
- Hamburg seal late win over Cologne in Bundesliga - Feb 13, 2012
- Hertha Berlin miss chance to go top in Bundesliga - Feb 07, 2009
- Dortmund humble Bayern to win German Cup - May 13, 2012
- Dortmund and Bayern win in Bundesliga - Apr 08, 2012
- Hapless India go down 0-5 to Zambia - Nov 29, 2011
- Bielefeld held by Frankfurt in Bundesliga - Sep 29, 2008
- Champions League: Barcelona held by Milan, Arsenal by Dortmund - Sep 14, 2011
- Nehru Cup: Cameroon outclass Nepal 5-0 - Aug 26, 2012
- Cologne relegated, Dortmund break Bundesliga record - May 06, 2012
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- Bayern Munich claims win against newcomer - Aug 26, 2012
- Dortmund record narrow victory in German Cup - Mar 21, 2012
- Bremen, Hamburg held, Hertha slip to another defeat - Nov 09, 2009
Tags: alexander frei, arminia bielefeld, artur wichniarek, back of the net, borussia dortmund, christopher katongo, close range, cross bar, energie cottbus, ervin skela, frank rost, freekick, german bundesliga, injury time, lee young pyo, olic, peter sippel, piotr trochowski, sebastian kehl, sv hamburg