Gymnast Teng pulls out of OlympicsJuly 26th, 2012 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 26 (IANS) China’s 2004 Athens Games champion Teng Haibin has pulled out of the London Olympics gymnastics competition with an arm injury.
Teng, the 2004 gold medallist who missed out on the Beijing Games, picked up the injury during the team’s training in Northern Ireland. His place will be taken by Guo Weiyang.
Teng burst into tears after realising his Olympic dream was over, Xinhua reported.
“It’s a challenge for us in the London Games with a series of injuries hampering our effort to win the team title, but I haven’t lost confidence in the Chinese team,” he said.
China’s head coach Huang Yubin said: “Once one bad thing happens, many other things become more difficult. Now, I’m very worried about the Games.”
China’s men won seven of eight golds in the men’s artistic gymnastics events in Beijing but have played down their chances of a repeat in London.
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- Chinese juggernaut rolls on at Olympics (World Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Zou powers China to gold, Japan win silver - Jul 31, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Bolt will face stiff challenge from Blake: Holmes - May 04, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics champ Yibing suffers knee injury - Jul 15, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Suhr soars over Isinbayeva, China still on top (World Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Bindra fails to qualify, Narang makes final - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Former gymnastics champ lives in poverty in China - Jul 16, 2011
- Olympic table tennis: China secures another gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics won't be easy for Bolt: Mennea - Jul 13, 2012
- Injuries to spikers hurt China's Olympics medal hopes - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China wins men's team gold - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: arm injury, artistic gymnastics, athens games, beijing, burst into tears, champion, chinese team, gold medallist, gymnast, gymnastics competition, gymnastics events, head coach, london games, london olympics, northern ireland, olympic dream, olympics, teng haibin, xinhua, yubin