Guillermo del Toro to direct The HobbitApril 25th, 2008 - 11:46 am ICT by admin
Washington, Apr 25 (ANI): Director Guillermo del Toro has signed on to helm The Hobbit, based on JRR Tolkiens book of the same name.
The director will not only helming the movie, which centres on Bilbo Baggins taking the Ring of Power from Gollum, but also its planned sequel.
The announcement was made jointly from the pics exec producers Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, New Line president Toby Emmerich, and Mary Parent, newly named chief of MGMs Worldwide Motion Picture Group on April 24.
Del Toro will direct the two films back to back, reports Variety.
The sequel will deal with the 60-year period between The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring, the first of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Both pics will be co-produced and co-financed by MGM and New Line Cinema, which is also overseeing development and will manage production.
Warner Bros. is set to distribute domestically and MGM handling international.
The signing, which comes four months after New Line settled a lawsuit with Jackson over The Lord of the Rings and the announcement that it had reached an agreement with MGM over the Hobbit, means that Del Toro will be moving to New Zealand for the next four years.
Once there, he will work with Jackson and his Wingnut and Weta production teams. (ANI)
- It's official: Elijah Wood is starring in 'The Hobbit' - Jan 10, 2011
- 'The Hobbit' Director Stands Down In The Midst Of Studio Deferments - Jun 01, 2010
- 'Hobbit' Director Quits Due To Studio Delays And Schedule Conflicts - Jun 01, 2010
- Peter Jackson to start shooting 'The Hobbit' next year - Oct 16, 2010
- Elijah Wood to star in 'The Hobbit' - Jan 10, 2011
- David Tennant To Star In "The Hobbit" As "Thranduil the Elvenking"? - Jan 12, 2011
- Del Toro not directing 'The Hobbit' - May 31, 2010
- Martin Freeman Roped In To Play Bilbo Baggins In "The Hobbit" - Oct 22, 2010
- Del Toro Is No Longer The Director Of The Hobbit - Jun 02, 2010
- Peter Jackson confirms 'The Hobbit' will be split into two parts - May 11, 2009
- Ian McKellen to reprise his role as wizard Gandalf in new Hobbit films - Jan 11, 2011
- Titles for new Hobbit' movies get thumbs up from fans - Mar 09, 2011
- Peter Jackson might direct 'The Hobbit' - Jun 27, 2010
- “The Hobbit”: The Most Expensive Film Till Date - Oct 12, 2010
- Tobey Maguire to star in 'The Hobbit' - Jan 22, 2010
Tags: april 24, baggins, exec producers, fellowship of the ring, four months, fran walsh, gollum, guillermo del toro, hobbit, lord of the rings trilogy, mgm, motion picture, moving to new zealand, new line cinema, peter jackson, toby emmerich, two films, warner bros, weta, wingnut