Guardiola: I don’t think Barca can win the LeagueFebruary 27th, 2012 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Feb 27 (IANS) FC Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola ruled his side out of the race for the Spanish Primera Liga title Monday.
Lionel Messi’s 28th league goal of the season, a delicate chip from a free kick, gave Barca a 2-1 win away to a battling Atletico Madrid Sunday night, but Real Madrid’s 1-0 win away to Rayo Vallecano earlier in the day meant that Barca are still 10 points behind Real Madrid and have dropped just eight points all season.
Guardiola admitted that 10 points would almost certainly be too much of a gap for his team to close.
“My feeling is that we will not win the league,” Guardiola was quoted as saying by Xinhua, although he insisted that his side would not throw in the towel just yet.
“Our aim is to compete as we have done against Atletico. I don’t think that we will be able to catch Real Madrid, but we can’t stop being ourselves,” he said.
“In that way we will be able to enjoy the days between matches by knowing that we have done our job. We will continue to compete in order to be prepared for the Champions League and the Copa del Rey,” added the Barca coach, whose side would end the season with five titles if they triumph in Europe and in the domestic knockout competition.
Guardiola added that he had given the same message to his players, adding that it was logical to think that way.
He also had words for Messi, who scored his 28th league goal of the campaign to win the match.
“There are some who are leaders because they talk and others are for what they do during 90 minutes of a game. He takes responsibility and he has done that for the past four years, when things are difficult, he always takes a step forward,” said Guardiola, who added that the suspension that Messi will have to serve next week after seeing his fifth yellow card of the season will allow the striker to recuperate.
- La Liga title still not out of grasp: Guardiola - Nov 27, 2011
- Real Madrid a win away from Liga title - May 02, 2012
- Barcelona move closer to Real Madrid with 4-1 win - Apr 08, 2012
- Real Madrid retain 10-point lead over Barcelona - Feb 27, 2012
- Real Madrid on brink of La Liga title - Apr 30, 2012
- Mourinho's Real Madrid win Spanish League title - May 03, 2012
- Barca face test away to in-form Atletico - Feb 26, 2012
- Not giving up Primera Liga title: Guardiiola - Jan 30, 2012
- Guardiola humbled by praise from colleagues - May 01, 2012
- Guardiola refuses to give up on La Liga title - Jan 29, 2012
- Barca look to put pressure on Madrid - Mar 23, 2012
- Crucial weekend for Madrid, Barca in La Liga - Feb 10, 2012
- Guardiola dedicates Getafe win to Eric Abidal - Apr 11, 2012
- Liga's penultimate round about survival and qualifying - May 04, 2012
- Must win game for Barca as Betis visit Camp Nou - Jan 14, 2012
Tags: aim, atletico madrid, champions league, coach, copa del rey, free kick, gap, guardiola, knockout competition, league goal, lionel messi, match, pep, primera liga, real madrid, spanish primera, striker, triumph, xinhua, yellow card