Guardiola humbled by praise from colleaguesMay 1st, 2012 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 1 (IANS) Barcelona football club coach Pep Guardiola, speaking to the press for the first time since his resignation announcement, thanked his colleagues for praising the work he did with the Catalan giants for four years.
Speaking after the game in which Barca trashed Rayo Vallecano 7-0, Guardiola Monday paid his gratitude for the praise he had received from other coaches, among them Arsenal’s Arsene Wenger.
“I am grateful for them. I understand that my time has finished here, but the important thing is that the club and the team carry on. Tito knows them well and Barca will continue to be at the top and competing with everyone,” he was quoted saying by Xinhua.
Assistant coach Aitor Karanka said Friday that the league had existed without Guardiola and would continue to do so even after his exit.
When asked for a response, Guardiola said: “What he says is obvious. The league has existed before me and will continue to do so afterwards.”
Guardiola added that the result against Rayo had merely served to put back Madrid’s inevitable title celebrations.
“It doesn’t matter if they celebrate now or later, we all know they are champions. However, this game is an example of what we are this season. Every game is important for us and this will help us prepare for the Cup final (against Athletic Club Bilbao),” said Guardiola, explaining that the impending Cup final was the reason that he had chosen Jose Pinto in goal ahead of usual first choice Victor Valdes.
Tito Vilanova will replace Guardiola as the head coach.
- Real Madrid's assistant coach lauds Higuain after his double strike - Mar 05, 2012
- Guardiola quits Barca, deputy Tito to take over (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Guardiola prepares for last league game as Barca coach - May 11, 2012
- Guardiola to take sabbatical from football - Apr 27, 2012
- Guardiola congratulates Madrid for Camp Nou win - Apr 22, 2012
- Guardiola to quit at the end of season - Apr 27, 2012
- Real Madrid a win away from Liga title - May 02, 2012
- Real Madrid on brink of La Liga title - Apr 30, 2012
- Fabregas denies problems with new Barca coach - Sep 05, 2012
- Crucial weekend for Madrid, Barca in La Liga - Feb 10, 2012
- Real Madrid need Supercup win to boost morale - Aug 28, 2012
- Questions to answer as Barcelona entertain Valencia - Sep 01, 2012
- Real Madrid and Barca set for eighth 'Clasico' in 9 months - Jan 17, 2012
- Advantage Barca ahead of Copa del Rey return leg - Jan 24, 2012
- Guardiola: I don't think Barca can win the League - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: aitor karanka, arsene, assistant coach, athletic club bilbao, barcelona football club, celebrations, club coach, first choice, giants, gratitude, head coach, jose pinto, may 1, pep, rayo vallecano, resignation, tito, victor valdes, vilanova, xinhua