Great day for me, says German debutant Lars BenderJune 18th, 2012 - 7:11 pm ICT by IANS
Lviv (Ukraine), June 18 (IANS) Debutant German defender Lars Bender, after scoring the match-winner against Denmark in the Euro 2012, said it was a great day for him scoring a goal in his first match.
Germany beat Denmark 2-1 Sunday to score the full nine points from three games to advance to the quarter-finals as winners of Group B, reports Xinhua.
“Apart from my goal, it was a great day for me. It was my first appearance at Euro and I scored the winning goal to help us reach the quarter-finals. I will remember this day for a very long time,” said Bender.
After a 1-1 first half tie, Denmark, who lost to Portugal 2-3 earlier in the group, tried to import some urgency into their game, knowing a draw would still nullify their hope of advancing as Portugal then led 2-1 over the Netherlands.
Thus, Germany punished them in ruthless fashion as young Bender slotted the winner past Stephan Andersen for his first international goal in the 80th minute.
Lukas Podolski gave Germany the lead on his 100th appearance as he scored the opener in the 19th minute after Thomas Muller turned in the box and cut the ball back for the Arsenal striker who produced an emphatic finish from close range.
Michael Krohn-Dehli found the equaliser for Denmark with a firm header from a corner five minutes later.
Germany will face Greece in the quarter-finals June 22 in Gdansk, Poland, while Portugal, who eventually beat the Netherlands 2-1, progress as runners-up and will take on the Czech Republic in Warsaw June 21.
“Against Greece, it will be a completely different match,” said Germany coach Joachim Low. “Nevertheless, they play a very similar game to the Danes. They are very dangerous in attack and strong in defence.”
- Low expects defensive Greece in quarters - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany beat Danes to set up Greece quarterfinal - Jun 18, 2012
- Germans lacked killer instinct: Coach - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012: Olsen rues lost penalty as Denmark crash out - Jun 18, 2012
- Portugal calm despite win-or-bust Denmark test - Jun 13, 2012
- Euro 2012: Portugal steal 3-2 win over Danes - Jun 14, 2012
- Krohn-Dehli strikes as Denmark shocks Netherlands - Jun 10, 2012
- Leading scorers at Euro 2012 - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012: Memory of 1992 motivates Denmark - Jun 01, 2012
- England qualify for Euro 2012, Portugal a step away - Oct 08, 2011
- Euro 2012 Group B Preview: Many challenges in Group of Death - Jun 05, 2012
- Organised Portugal makes me proud: Coach - Jun 18, 2012
- Denmark defeat was like a bad movie: Robben - Jun 10, 2012
- Denmark defeat Sweden 2-0 in football friendly - Nov 12, 2011
- Germany's Gomez got lucky: Portugal coach - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: bender, close range, dehli, equaliser, euro 2012, first appearance, gdansk poland, international goal, joachim, june 21, krohn, lars, lviv ukraine, quarter finals, stephan andersen, striker, thomas muller, three games, warsaw, xinhua