Great chance for Higuain to surpass El DiegoJune 28th, 2010 - 11:15 pm ICT by IANS
By Abhishek Roy
Johannesburg, June 28 (IANS) Argentina’s latest poster boy Gonzalo Higuain stands a strong chance to surpass his coach, the legendary Diego Maradona, in this World Cup.
In four matches, Higuain has scored four goals and is among the seven Argentines, including Maradona (1986), to score four goals in one edition. The others are Guillermo Stabile (1930), Mario Kempes and Leopoldo Luque (1978), Jorge Valdano (1986) and Gabriel Batistuta (1994 and 1998).
Higuain has been in great form in this tournament and is the current top scorer as well. He scored a hat-trick against South Korea in the group stage and with Argentina in the quarterfinal, Higuain can well surpass his coach.
Higuain’s meteoric rise in the national team since making his debut for la Albiceleste in last October has prompted Maradona to compare this Real Madrid forward with the likes of Batistuta and Hernan Crespo.
Higuain also scored on his international debut against Peru to help Maradona’s side qualify for the World Cup finals.
“Higuain has qualities of both Bati and Crespo. He has a spectacular future and is living his best moments, I called him at the right time,” said Maradona.
Argentina’s win against Mexico at the Soccer City here Sunday was their 10 consecutive win in the World Cup and also their best in the history of the tournament. Their last defeat in the World Cup was in 2002 when they lost 1-0 to England.
For Mexico it was the fifth time in a row that they have been eliminated from the round of 16. In 2002, they were eliminated by Argentina, in 1998 by Germany and 1994 by Bulgaria on penalties.
- Argentina-Mexico: It's all or nothing and a rematch of 2006 - Jun 26, 2010
- Maradona and Greece: From drugs nightmare to World Cup dream - Jun 20, 2010
- History collides for Argentina (Group B team profile) - May 27, 2010
- The 107 caps of Bhaichung Bhutia (Career statistics) - Aug 24, 2011
- Argentinian stars have a long affair with Kolkata - Sep 01, 2011
- Maradona expects Germany to pose tougher task than Mexico - Jun 28, 2010
- Argentina face Paraguay in World Cup qualifier - Sep 07, 2012
- Tevez, referee send Argentina into quarter-finals - Jun 28, 2010
- Greece sniff chance as Argentina ring changes - Jun 21, 2010
- World Cup winners - Jul 12, 2010
- List of Anand's victories (Factfile) - May 30, 2012
- Argentina, Ecuador win opening FIFA World Cup qualifiers - Oct 08, 2011
- Argentina beat Mexico by 3-1, enter quarter-finals - Jun 28, 2010
- Messi shines, Argentina beat Nigeria (Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- Brazil fans turning Argentines courtesy Messi-magic - Sep 02, 2011
Tags: abhishek, albiceleste, argentines, diego maradona, fifth time, gabriel batistuta, group stage, guillermo stabile, hat trick, hernan crespo, international debut, jorge valdano, luque, mario kempes, meteoric rise, poster boy, real madrid, soccer city, top scorer, world cup finals