Grandfather Sikh wins British athletics awardJune 20th, 2010 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
Leicester, June 20 (IANS) A grandfather from Punjab and a popular athlete of the Midlands in England has won two medals at the annual event of the British Masters Athletic Federation in Leicester.
Jhalman Singh, 72, won a silver medal in the long jump and a bronze medal in the shot putt. This is on top of the pentathlon gold he won in the 70-75-year-old category at a Masters event in Oxford last month.
A retired engineer, he lives in Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, and is currently training for another county competition in August, reports the Birmingham Mail.
Jhalman, who has represented the Royal Sutton Coldfield Athletics Club, started athletics in 1952 and has won a host of medals during his career.
He has won awards off the sports field too, for his social and community activities. He was received a Parliamentary award in 2007 at the House of Commons for promoting Punjabi culture in Britain. Last year he was crowned the first Midlands Sikh Sports Personality of the Year.
- Olympic modern pentathlon: Lithuania's Asadauskaite wins last gold - Aug 13, 2012
- Indian wrestling has a bright future: Sports minister - Aug 12, 2012
- Andhra announces Rs.50 lakh cash award for Gagan - Jul 31, 2012
- Swimmers win best athlete awards at National Games - Feb 26, 2011
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
- India will aim at 25 medals in 2020 Olympics - Aug 16, 2012
- Sports Minister hails bronze medallist Yogeshwar - Aug 12, 2012
- Sports minister gives away cash awards to 158 athletes - May 10, 2012
- Olympics: Sushil secures silver on concluding day (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil first to win back-to-back medals (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Canada hopes to finish among top 12 in London - May 30, 2012
- Jessica Ennis 'labelled "overweight" by UK Athletics' - May 25, 2012
- PM hails Sushil Kumar; railways rewards him Rs.75 lakh (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympics: Sodhi, Bhagwan disappoint for India (Evening Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: All eyes on Sushil after Yogeshwar's bronze (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: athlete, athletic federation, british masters, bronze medal, county competition, engineer, england, gold, house of commons, leicester, long jump, mail, medals, oxford, punjab, shot putt, sikh, silver medal, sports personality, sutton coldfield