Gorakhpur farmers protest forced land acquisitionMay 10th, 2008 - 12:17 pm ICT by admin
Gorakhpur, May 10 (ANI): Police faced a tough time in Gorakhpur on Friday as they tried to disperse a crowd of angry farmers protesting against paltry compensation provided to them by the district development authority for their lands.
The forceful acquisition of the farmers’ lands by the Gorakhpur Development Authority (GDA) and inadequate compensation received thereof provoked the farmers to protest.
Police had to baton charged the mob to restore order.
“These people blocked the road and they were alleging that the GDA had paid them less compensation for their lands. We tried to sort out the matter but they continued to block the road causing a lot of trouble to the passerbys. Then we had to forcefully disperse them,” said Brijesh Kumar Mishra, a police official.
In place of the actual cost of 100,000 rupees, the farmers said they were only paid a measly 3,800 rupees by the GDA.
“We will continue to fight the injustice done to us till we get proper compensation for our lands,” said Diwakar Singh.
According to the farmers, the GDA plans to sell the land acquired from them to prospective buyers for residential and commercial purposes. (ANI)
- Uttar Pradesh farmers protest land takeover, clash with cops - Jan 21, 2011
- Farmers block Aligarh highway for higher compensation - Aug 15, 2010
- As parties play politics of land, divides deepen (Roundup) - May 12, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Third Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Fourth Lead, correcting designation in para 4) - May 09, 2011
- Locals clash with police after minor's killing - Jul 29, 2011
- Boy's death in road accident sparks violence, 12 hurt - Nov 12, 2010
- Lok Sabha adjourned till 2 p.m over UP farmer death protests - Aug 17, 2010
- Why double standards in compassion: BJP attacks Rahul Gandhi - Jul 05, 2011
- Now spotlight on land acquisition in Ghaziabad - Jul 18, 2011
- Farmers' stage protests, burn vehicles in Agra - Aug 25, 2010
- Greater Noida farmers oppose settlement deal - Aug 07, 2011
- Protest over demolition of illegal religious structure - Jan 12, 2011
- Protest against land acquisition in Jharkhand turns violent - Jul 05, 2012
- Mayawati slams opposition, says Rahul is helpless - May 12, 2011