Gopichand who? asks sports ministerAugust 19th, 2008 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 19 (IANS) Indian sportspersons, other than cricketers, may be crying for recognition, and not without reason. Even the country’s Sports Minister M.S. Gill Tuesday failed to recognise former All England champion shuttler and current national coach Pullela Gopichand. The unbelievable happened when Gopichand and his ward Saina Nehwal - back from the Beijing Olympics - went to pay a courtesy visit to the sports minister. While Gill greeted Saina heartily, he failed to recognise Gopichand when the latter shook hands with him.
“Who are you?” the minister asked Gopichand, leaving all those present dumbstruck and quite embarassed.
Gopichand, however, took the ministerial lapse sportingly, and introduced himself as the national coach.
Asked about the incident by mediapersons, he said: “It’s ok. I didn’t feel bad.”
Gopichand is one of the only two Indians to have ever won the All England Open Championship. While Gopichand triumphed in 2001, Prakash Padukone clinched the title in 1980.
Gill had invited Saina to his office after her return from the Beijing Olympics, where she reached the quarterfinals of the women’s singles badminton competition.
- Saina would have won anyway: Gopichand - Aug 04, 2012
- Sachin gives away BMW to Saina Nehwal - Aug 20, 2012
- I can hope and try, not predict: Saina Nehwal (Interview) - Jul 16, 2012
- When Saina wanted to quit badminton - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Triple jumpers fail, Saina gets rousing reception (India Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Saina to work with Indian cricket team analyst - Jul 26, 2011
- Gill snubs Sushil's coach, announces Rs.1 million for the wrestler - Sep 14, 2010
- Saina changes Bejing heartbreak into Olympic bronze (Profile) - Aug 04, 2012
- Saina aims for greater feats after Olympic bronze (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Saina has time to be at her best before Olympics: Gopichand - Dec 03, 2011
- Andhra celebrates second bronze medal at Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- Jwala, Ashwini can do wonders: Syed Arif (Interview) (With Image) - Jul 08, 2012
- Gopichand pins faith on new bunch of youngsters - Apr 28, 2011
- I want to be World No.1 shuttler, says Hyderabadi Sindhu (Interview) - Jul 19, 2012
- Saina to take on Chinese dominance at World Badminton - Aug 24, 2010