Gonzalez fancies his chances against mighty NadalAugust 16th, 2008 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 16 (DPA) Chilean Fernando Gonzalez stressed Saturday that he can beat Spaniard Rafael Nadal in Sunday’s men’s singles tennis Olympic final. “I am at my best time,” said the man who already has two Olympic medals from Athens 2004.
Speaking at the end of a 20-minute training session at the Olympic Green Tenis Court in Beijing, Gonzalez said he was not intimidated by Nadal, set Monday to become new world number 1.
“Nadal is currently the best player, but I am playing well too, this is my best time. I’m ready to do what I have to do,” the South American said. “Nadal and I have had some great games.”
Gonzalez, who carried the Chilean flag in the opening ceremony, will obtain Sunday his country’s first medal in Beijing 2008.
From Athens 2004 he already doubles gold with Nicolas Massu and the bronze in the singles tournament.
On Friday, he joked that “logically” it was silver that was missing from his collection of metals. “But I want the gold,” he said.
- Gonzalez confident of challenging Nadal - Aug 16, 2008
- Russia backs all 24 shooters to win Olympic medals - Jun 26, 2012
- Bellucci only Brazilian in Olympics tennis singles - Jun 27, 2012
- Nadal named flag bearer for Spain's Olympic team - Jun 21, 2012
- It's now or never, says wrestler Yogeshwar (IANS kicks off its coverage of India's medal hopes at the London Olympics) - Jun 12, 2012
- Nadal wins gold in Olympics - Aug 17, 2008
- I have to better my Beijing performance: Sushil Kumar - May 09, 2012
- Bush calls Phelps to congratulate (Olympic side-lights) - Aug 18, 2008
- Wrestler Sushil Kumar qualifies for London Games - Apr 27, 2012
- Djokovic dreams big in Olympic year - Apr 19, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Olympics won't be easy for Bolt: Mennea - Jul 13, 2012
- Nadal wins Olympic gold, beating Gonzalez - Aug 17, 2008
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
- Pau Gasol replaces Nadal as Spanish flagbearer - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: athens 2004, beijing 2008, best player, best time, chilean flag, dpa, fernando gonzalez, gold, great games, metals, nicolas massu, number 1, olympic medals, opening ceremony, rafael nadal, tenis, tennis, training session