Gold medallist Pinki accused of being male, held for ‘rape’June 14th, 2012 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 14 (IANS) Asian Games gold medal winning athlete Pinki Pramanik was arrested after a complaint was made that she is a male and has allegedly raped a woman, police said Thursday.
“We arrested Pramanik Thursday morning after a woman lodged a complaint of rape, stating that the athlete was a male and has been cohabiting with her for past several months. He promised to marry her but later denied,” said an officer of Baguihati police station in North 24-Parganas where the complaint was made.
Following the complaint, Pramanik was taken to a private nursing home for a medical checkup where the test reports showed that the athlete was indeed a male.
“We will take Pramanik for a medical checkup to a government-run hospital and after the reports come in, the athlete will be presented before a court,” added the officer.
Pramanik won gold in 4×400 metres relay at the 2006 Asian Games in Doha, Qatar. She was a silver medallist at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games the same year.
She retired from athletics three years ago.
- Gold medallist Pinki accused of being male, held for 'rape' (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Pinki undergoes sex test - Jun 19, 2012
- Pinki undergoes medical test, result Tuesday - Jun 18, 2012
- Pinki to face gender test Monday - Jun 16, 2012
- Athlete Pinki undergoes gender test again in Kolkata - Jun 25, 2012
- Pinki Pramanik case: Gynaecologists talk of genetic reasons, sex change - Jun 14, 2012
- Former athlete Pinki Pramanik gets bail - Jul 10, 2012
- It's a conspiracy, says family of arrested Asiad medallist (Second lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Athlete Pinki's blood sample taken for chromosomal test - Jul 02, 2012
- Asiad gold medallist sent to judicial custody for 'rape' (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Pinki's gender test report reaches hospital - Jul 09, 2012
- New case filed against Pinki Pramanik - Jul 13, 2012
- Arrested for rape, Asiad gold medallist Pinki presented in court - Jun 15, 2012
- Pinki to undergo medical test Tuesday (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Pinki undergoes gender test, medical board seeks more time (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: asian games in doha qatar, athlete, games gold, gold medal, gold medallist, june 14, medical checkup, melbourne commonwealth games, nursing home, police said thursday, police station, rape, silver medallist, test reports, thursday morning, woman police