Goal was to win and we achieved it: MessiJune 7th, 2009 - 5:32 pm ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, June 7 (DPA) Talented striker Lionel Messi admitted that Argentina did not play too well in their tight 1-0 win over Colombia in Buenos Aires, but he was happy with the result.
“The goal was to win and we achieved it,” Messi said Saturday. “The goal is to qualify for the World Cup.”
The Barcelona star - arguably the world’s best player at the moment - said the win was “very important,” but admitted that the game “was ugly.”
Team-mate Juan Sebastian Veron agreed.
“We can play better, but this was a game to get three points,” he noted.
Striker Carlos Tevez stressed that Argentina had to suffer to win. “Fortunately we could obtain the win, it was very hard for us,” he said.
Coach Diego Maradona said the win was “wonderful” and praised his men’s “determination” against a difficult rival.
- Argentina president wants to clone Messi, Maradona - Jun 11, 2010
- Argentina's Zanetti, Cambiasso, Gago to miss World Cup - May 12, 2010
- Not playing Messi will be a sin: Maradona - Jun 21, 2010
- Argentina's Tevez named Man of the Match - Jun 28, 2010
- Argentina-Mexico: It's all or nothing and a rematch of 2006 - Jun 26, 2010
- Argentina down Greece 2-0, top Group B (Lead) - Jun 23, 2010
- Argentina lose again, Paraguay seal World Cup berth - Sep 10, 2009
- Maradona drops Coloccini, Lavezzi from Argentina squad - May 20, 2010
- Maradona calls Pele 'idiot' for comments on Messi - Jun 10, 2012
- Messi shines as Argentina beat Nigeria 1-0 (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- Maradona praises his sensational team after victory (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Messi set to captain Argentina against Greece - Jun 22, 2010
- History collides for Argentina (Group B team profile) - May 27, 2010
- Argentina holds down Messi: Maradona still better - Mar 24, 2010
- Brazil gets World Cup berth with 3-1 win in Argentina - Sep 06, 2009