Goa Premier League kicks off despite BCCI threatDecember 24th, 2010 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Dec 24 (IANS) The controversial Goa Players League (GPL) cricket tournament kicked off Friday, despite the Board of Cricket Control of India (BCCI) calling the event ‘illegal’ in a statement Thursday evening.”The outstation players who were participating in the tournament will not be allowed now. The BCCI’s contention was that outstation players without the required NOCs should not be playing,” Goa Cricket Association (GCA) secretary Prasad Fatarpekar told reporters here.
The BCCI had warned disciplinary action against players participating in the event, because the tournament had no official recognition.
“The Goa Premier League has not been recognised by the Goa Cricket Association and neither has BCCI’s permission been obtained for the same. All the players and officials participating in this tournament will face disciplinary action,” BCCI chief administrator Rantakar Shetty had said.
The GCA has now claimed that it was “all misunderstanding” and has gone ahead with the event Friday without the BCCI’s blessing, with Dempo Cricket Club taking on Mechvac fixtures fittings in the opening match of the Twenty20 tournament.
Interestingly, contrary to Shetty’s statement that the GCA has nothing to do with the GPL, the complete fixtures of the tournament are available on the GCA website.
Fatarpekar said: “The tournament is being played without outstation players now, so the BCCI should not have a problem.”
Rajasthan Royals opener Swapnil Asnodkar and Chennai Super Kings left arm orthodox spinner Shadab Jakati are expected to participate in the 11 day tournament which is being held in Porvorim, a few kilometres from here.
- Goa Premier League kicks off despite BCCI threat (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Goa cricket chief evasive over match-fixing angle - Nov 09, 2011
- Goa cricket officials interfering in U-19 selection: Coach - Dec 07, 2011
- Now GCA president Narvekar accused of rigging pitch in Ranji match - Nov 17, 2011
- Cricket Australia's hopes of cashing on Indian cricketers for Big Bash dashed - Apr 30, 2011
- Goa cricket body expels former head's son for six years - Jun 25, 2012
- Indian cricket board says no to Australia's Big Bash - Apr 30, 2011
- Goa cricket chief fined, faces FIR for forgery (Lead) - Dec 25, 2010
- SRK eyes stake in I-League champions Dempo (Evening Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Goa Congress candidate being probed for model code violation - Jan 09, 2012
- Lalit Modi's disciplinary hearings next month - Aug 30, 2010
- SLC hopes to convince BCCI to allow participation of Indian cricketers (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- I-League begins Saturday, spotlight on Dempo-Salgaocar clash - Oct 21, 2011
- 'Twenty20 league owned by Sri Lankan board, not private body' - Jun 19, 2011
- Whistleblower blames Goa government of victimisation - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,