Gillette won’t renew its endorsement deal with Tiger WoodsDecember 24th, 2010 - 12:35 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Dec 24 (ANI): The Gillette brand has announced that it will cut ties with golfer Tiger Woods at the end of the year.
The brand, known for its shaving products, used Woods, Roger Federer, Lionel Messi and dozens of other athletes as part of its three-year “Gillette Champions” marketing campaign, reports News.com.au.
Now Owner Procter & Gamble Co said it was phasing out that program and not renewing the contract with Woods and several other athletes.
It stopped using Woods himself in the campaign months ago.
The golfer was once the most sought-after pitchman in sports.
However, many corporations cut ties or distanced themselves from Woods after last year’s revelations of marital infidelities.
Accenture LLP, AT and T Inc and Gatorade all dropped Woods as an endorser.
Companies such as Gillette and Tag Heuer didn’t end their relationships outright but stopped featuring him in advertisements.
Gillette is also letting its contracts with other athletes, including soccer players such as Messi, Thierry Henry, and Kaka end as part of the conclusion of the marketing program.
Gillette, however, was keeping some of the athletes - such as Federer, NHL star Alex Ovechkin and New York Yankees captain Derek Jeter - for new local marketing campaigns. (ANI)
- Gatorade Cut Ties With Tiger Woods - Feb 27, 2010
- Tag Heuer thinking of cutting Tiger Woods sponsorship deal - Dec 15, 2009
- Now, General Motors drops Tiger Woods - Jan 14, 2010
- Troubled Woods birdies in the night to avoid prying eyes - Dec 20, 2009
- Now GM Motors cancels deal with Tiger Woods - Jan 15, 2010
- Lonely Tiger in the woods this birthday Wednesday - Dec 29, 2009
- Sponsors Reconsidering Their Deals With Tiger Woods - Dec 21, 2009
- Gatorade dumps Tiger Woods - Feb 27, 2010
- AT&T Ends Contract With Tiger Woods - Jan 01, 2010
- Woods leaves PGA in economic limbo - Dec 15, 2009
- Gillette 'distances' itself from Tiger Woods - Dec 13, 2009
- Accenture ends scandal-hit Tiger Woods sponsorship deal - Dec 14, 2009
- Tiger Woods' transgressions cost his sponsors up to $12b: Research - Dec 29, 2009
- Tiger Woods Not Dropped By Nike And EA - Jan 24, 2010
- Diaz is new face of Tag Heuer - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: accenture, alex ovechkin, derek jeter, endorsement deal, gillette brand, golfer tiger woods, lionel messi, local marketing, marital infidelities, marketing campaign, marketing campaigns, marketing program, new york yankees, news com au, pitchman, procter amp gamble, roger federer, shaving products, soccer players, thierry henry