Gill will talk about Asian hockey, not represent India: KalmadiJuly 18th, 2008 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 17 (IANS) In a snub to K.P.S. Gill, Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Suresh Kalmadi said Friday that the sacked Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) president will only discuss the developments of Asian hockey and will have nothing to do with the game in the country. Gill, who is one of the five vice-presidents of Asian Hockey Federation (AHF), attended the council meeting of the Asian federation here Thursday. He was sacked as the president of the IHF after the IOA dissolved it, following its general secretary K. Jyothikumaran’s involvement in a bribery scandal in April.
Kalmadi toed the line of AHF secretary P. Alagendra, who said Thursday that the members are elected in their individual capacity and as per the constitution Gill will continue to serve his tenure till 2010.
“He has been elected as an individual in AHF and he will continue to be there. Even Jyothikumaran is a member, and we cannot stop them from attending council meeting as per the constitution,” said Kalmadi, who is also the ad-hoc committee chairman, which is now running the men’s sport in the country.
Asked how is it possible as IHF has been dissolved, Kalmadi said: “The Asian body has its its own rule but he (Gill) will not represent India. Amrit Bose and Vidya Stokes, the president and secretary of Indian Women’s Hockey Federation respectively, will represent India in the AHF council.”
Asked if Gill is not representing India what will be his role in the AHF, Kalmadi said: “They will talk about the developments in Asian hockey.”
- Gill vows to fight back after High Court quashes IOC order - May 21, 2010
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- Sacked Gill to storm Asian Hockey Federation meet - Jul 16, 2008
- Gill will continue attending AHF meetings - Jul 17, 2008
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- KPS Gill holds AGM of superseded IHF - Apr 25, 2010
- Malaysia to host Asia Cup - Jun 03, 2012
- IHF and IWHF form joint body, to hold election in October - Aug 12, 2010
- Hockey India's claims meaningless, says Gill - May 23, 2010
- K.P.S. Gill to chair IHF meeting - Apr 25, 2010
- Cricket is setting a dangerous trend in the country, says Gill - Jul 18, 2008
- Never had plans to attend opening ceremony: Kalmadi - Jul 25, 2012
- Reinstated by court, Gill vows to be back in action - May 21, 2010
- HI to act tough on Bhopal nationals' participants - Jul 04, 2010
- Shetty elected new IHF president - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: ahf, amrit, asian body, asian federation, bose, bribery scandal, committee chairman, general secretary, hoc committee, hyderabad, ihf, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, indian women, ioa president, july 17, snub, suresh kalmadi, vice presidents, vidya