Gill, Takale lead in Dakshin Dare RallyApril 10th, 2012 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
Waynad, April 10 (IANS) Treading his way rather carefully, National champion Gaurav Gill (co-driver Musa Sherif) led his Mahindra team-mate Lohitt Urs (Chapong Chaiwan) by three minutes, 35 seconds at the end of the first day in the 2000Kms long Maruti Suzuki Dakshin Dare Rally that took a night halt here Tuesday.
Though experiencing some damper problems and despite conceding a 20-second penalty for late check-in after service halt, Gill, in a Mahindra XUV 500, was still quick enough to outpace his rivals.
“I didn’t take any risks and there is still a long way to go,” said Gill while Urs lost three minutes in the day’s sixth and final special stage after hitting a rock.
“My front right tyre suffered a puncture about three kms from the finish of the last stage and it cost me three minutes,” said Urs.
Meanwhile, another top contender in the Ultimate category, Sanjay Agarwal (Anoop Kumar) went out of contention after a blown engine about eight kms from the start of the day’s first special stage.
“The engine started smoking and it expired. I am replacing the engine and will join the rally on Wednesday,” said Agarwal.
In the Endurance category that is run on a TSD (time-speed-distance) format, Sanjay Takale (Mustafa) enjoyed a six-second lead over last year’s winner and the husband-wife combination of Satish Gopalakrishnan and Savera D’Souza.
Provisional results (Day 1):
Ultimate: Gaurav Gill / Musa Sherif 1 (1hr, 07mins, 50secs); Lohitt Urs / Chapong Chaiwan 2 (01:11:25).
Endurance: Sanjay Takale / Mustafa 1 (11secs penalty); Satish Gopalakrishnan / Savera D’Souza 2 (17secs); KP Karthick / S Sankar Anand 3 (22secs).
- Takale completes Mahindra sweep at Dakshin Dare Rally - Apr 14, 2012
- Dakshin Dare Rally: Gill, Nataraj emerge champs - Apr 13, 2012
- Gill consolidates lead - Apr 13, 2012
- Top rally drivers to take part in Dakshin Dare - Apr 08, 2012
- Imran, Rashid move ahead in Dakshin Dare Rally - Jun 14, 2011
- Satish-Savera combine top in Spice Cup - Sep 09, 2012
- Trucks to make debut in Desert Storm rally - Feb 19, 2012
- Gaurav Gill takes commanding lead at Odisha Rally - Dec 10, 2011
- Motorsports: Vaidya, Uday maintain lead - Jun 17, 2011
- Motorsports:Vaidya, Uday bag honours - Jun 18, 2011
- Gill set to take top honours in Maharashtra Rally - Jun 04, 2011
- Gill takes commanding lead in Coffee Day Rally - Nov 19, 2011
- Gill ahead by 38 seconds in Karnataka-1000 Rally - Aug 20, 2011
- Motorsports: Gill, Urs top for MRF - Aug 21, 2011
- Gaurav Gill poised to win Rally of Coimbatore - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: anoop, blown engine, co driver, damper, gill co, gopalakrishnan, husband wife, karthick, maruti suzuki, national champion, provisional results, sanjay, sankar, satish, savera, sherif, team mate, three minutes, time speed, top contender