Gill, Kalmadi congratulate Indian hockey teamApril 13th, 2009 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 13 (IANS) Sports minister M.S. Gill and Indian Olympic Association (IOA) chairman Suresh Kalmadi congratulated the Indian hockey team for winning the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup after 13 years.
India beat Malaysia 3-1 in Sunday’s final in Ipoh, Malaysia, to bring home the Cup for the fourth time.
“I congratulate the team. I see that Indian Hockey is on the rise. We will do everything to support it,” said Gill.
Kalmadi, who is also the chairman of the ad-hoc committee that is running the sport in the country after the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) was dissolved, congratulated captain Sandeep Singh and coach Harender Singh for the success.
Sandeep was the star of the tournament with six goals including two against arch-rivals Pakistan. Veteran Dilip Tirkey also became the highest capped player in the world crossing the 400-mark.
“This could not have been possible without a collective team effort. This victory augurs well for hockey in the country and it will go a long way to boost our national sport. I also congratulate Dilip for becoming the highest capped player in international hockey,” said Kalmadi.
The Indians were champions in 1985, 1991 and 1995 while in 2006 they lost to Argentina in the final.
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- IHF appoints national selection panel - Jul 13, 2010
- KPS Gill holds AGM of superseded IHF - Apr 25, 2010
- HI to act tough on Bhopal nationals' participants - Jul 04, 2010
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India gear up for New Zealand - May 23, 2012
- Rajpal, Halappa left out from Olympics hockey probables - Feb 27, 2012
- A hockey victory to rejoice after gloom (Commentary) - Apr 12, 2009
- Indian hockey owes a lot to Dilip Tirkey(Comment) - May 08, 2009
- K.P.S. Gill to chair IHF meeting - Apr 25, 2010
- Hockey camp to focus on fitness, strength: Nobbs - Mar 12, 2012
- Sports minister Gill pulls up hockey selectors - Feb 04, 2009
- Chettri to lead India in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup - Apr 12, 2012
- Azlan Shah: India bounce back to beat South Korea 2-1 - May 25, 2012
- Gill vows to fight back after High Court quashes IOC order - May 21, 2010
Tags: 13 years, arch rivals, azlan shah cup, capped player, collective team, hoc committee, hockey team, ihf, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, international hockey, ioa, ipoh malaysia, national sport, sandeep singh, sultan azlan shah, sultan azlan shah cup, suresh, team effort, tirkey