Gill for CBI probe of sex scandal in women’s hockeyJuly 22nd, 2010 - 12:39 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 21 (IANS) A day after hockey player Ranjitha Devi accused women’s team coach M.K. Kaushik of sexual harassment, former Punjab supercop K.P.S. Gill Wednesday demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the charges.
After the charges, Olympian Kaushik Wednesday quit as the national women’s hockey coach. Hockey India (HI) has constituted a four-member committee to look into the matter.
“This is a very serious issue and we cannot rely on the inquiry of any of the committee. We need a thorough inquiry into this and I demand a CBI probe into this incident. An FIR (first information report) should be registered immediately against Kaushik,” said Gill here Wednesday.
Gill is the former president of Indian Hockey Federation (IHF), which was later dissolved by the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).
“Even during my tenure as the president of IHF, Kaushik had tried to send an unfit player for a tournament. But it came to our notice ands we stopped him. Therefore, we cannot trust his integrity. I am afraid that IOA people can try to shield Kaushik. There is a strong possibility of involvement of many more names,” said Gill.
A decorated police officer, Gill is widely credited with eliminating terrorism in Punjab in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
Kaushik’s contract was to expire in November after the Asian Games in China.
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- Probe panel submits report to Hockey India - Jul 23, 2010
- Gill promises impartial justice to women hockey players - Jul 26, 2010
- Sexual harassment charge: Teammates to be quizzed - Jul 22, 2010
- Hockey India handled sexual harassment case in childish manner: Pargat - Jul 26, 2010
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- Panel submits report to HI on sexual harrasement charges (Lead) - Jul 23, 2010
- FIH gives a month to HI and IHF to work out merger formula - Feb 26, 2012
- Kaushik quits as women's hockey coach - Jul 21, 2010
- Sports ministry calls HI and IHF to form unified hockey body - Jun 09, 2011
- Hockey India paid higher hosting fee for World Cup: Gill - Jun 08, 2011
- IHF and IWHF form joint body, to hold election in October - Aug 12, 2010
- We can solve the hockey mess through talks: K.P.S. Gill - Jul 28, 2010
- HI not to avail Kaushik's services in future - Jul 24, 2010
- Hockey India submits probe report to government, police (Lead) - Jul 24, 2010
Tags: asian games, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, fir, former president, hockey coach, hockey player, ihf, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, information report, kaushik, member committee, national women, police officer, punjab, ranjitha, sex scandal, sexual harassment, team coach