Gilchrist hints at bidding adieu to international cricket by season endNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:34 am ICT by admin
“I’m not sure if I’ll be back here next year, but with the way I feel at the moment the intention is to try and get right through,” Gilchrist said at a luncheon in Brisbane ahead of the first Test against Sri Lanka.
“I wondered whether last summer might be my last one,” Gilchrist said at a luncheon in Brisbane ahead of the first Test against Sri Lanka.
“I just thought I would go along and enjoy it, and then the World Cup came and that was a real shot of adrenaline. We have had two good off-seasons the last two winters, and over the next three or four years cricketers will not see that kind of time off. It was very timely for me,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted him, as saying.
The decision will come as a major blow to the Australian team, which is about to embark on its most hectic period of cricket - incorporating 23 Tests, a Champions Trophy and numerous other limited-overs series before the end of 2008, the daily said.
Gilchrist, who will turn 36 between the Brisbane and Hobart Tests, had earlier said that he would consider retiring from one-day international cricket to prolong his Test career.
If he maintains his streak of consecutive matches, Gilchrist will equal Rod Marsh’s mark of 96 Test appearances by the end of this summer. Only Ian Healy, with 119, has played more Tests among Australian wicketkeepers. (ANI)
- Proteas keeper Boucher to replace hurt Haddin in KKR squad - May 01, 2011
- Ponting not going anywhere: Micky Arthur - May 01, 2012
- Murali's Centre of Excellence stint would be a priceless for young Oz spinners: Healy - Feb 10, 2011
- Aussies need consistent fast bowler, leg-spinner to regain Ashes: Gavaskar - Oct 21, 2010
- Paine says he hopes to be a permanent fixture in Oz squad soon - Oct 21, 2010
- Collingwood, Prior dropped from England squad - Jun 21, 2011
- Bailey replaces Clarke for Sunday's ODI against India (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Former conditioner says retired Hayden fit for T20 World Cup - Dec 11, 2011
- Jayawardene eying breakthrough ODI series win against Australia - Oct 22, 2010
- Ex-Oz keeper Healy hits out at decision to rest stars - Feb 07, 2011
- Prior named in England World Cup squad - Jan 19, 2011
- Prior says his role will be to 'turbo charge' England to World Cup glory - Jan 21, 2011
- T20 has revitalized cricket, but Tests are undisputed kings: Gilchrist - Oct 21, 2010
- 'Have enough games to stake claim for Ashes berth,' says Haddin - Oct 01, 2010
- Calls for Ponting's retirement grow stronger - Nov 20, 2011
Tags: adieu, australian team, australian wicketkeepers, brisbane, champions trophy, cricketers, day international, embark, first test, gilchrist, hectic period, luncheon, one day international cricket, rod marsh, sri lanka, swashbuckling, sydney morning herald, test appearances, test career, way i feel