Gilchrist hails ‘team man’ SymondsMay 25th, 2009 - 12:49 pm ICT by ANI
Johannesburg (S. Africa), May 25 (ANI): Deccan Chargers skipper and former Australian wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist on Sunday hailed all-rounder Andrew Symonds as a “great team man” after the team was declared the 2009 Indian Premier League champions.
The Deccan Chargers beat the Royal Challengers Bangalore by six runs in an exciting final.
Symonds made 33 off 21 deliveries and took two wickets in two balls to undermine RCB’s pursuit of the Deccan score of 143 for the loss of six wickets in the final at the Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg.
Symonds arrived midway through the campaign after playing in the Australia’s ODI series against Pakistan in Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
“He (Symonds) is a great team man. He creates good spirit in the team. He’s just a great personality and a wonderful talent on a cricket field,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Gilchrist, as saying.
“We were happy to be playing without any big expectation because we were trying to rebuild. Given what we did last year, it was a phenomenal effort by everyone in the franchise to turn things around,” Gilchrist said.
RCB captain Anil Kumble said the successive dismissals of Ross Taylor and Virat Kohli by Symonds was a big blow to his team’s chances of taking the trophy.
“We worked really hard to get to this. But having said that, nobody gave us a chance three weeks ago to be in the final,” Kumble added. (ANI)
- Symonds over did the trick for Deccan Chargers: Kumble - May 25, 2009
- Sangakkara happy to get winning momentum back in IPL - Apr 15, 2011
- Making IPL final, Deccan Chargers, Royal Challengers turn jeers to cheers (Preview) - May 24, 2009
- Royal Challengers crush Deccan Chargers, qualify for Champions League (Lead) - Apr 25, 2010
- Youngsters did the turnaround for us: Gilchrist - May 25, 2009
- Deccan Chargers wear the IPL crown (Roundup) - May 25, 2009
- We need to pick the best to partner Gayle, says Vettori - May 09, 2011
- Royal Challengers set 144-run target for Deccan Chargers - May 24, 2009
- Kumble wants to manage cricket than play in IPL (Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Kings XI wary of Gayle 'storm' in revenge game - May 02, 2012
- RCB looks for Gayle's opening partner as Dilshan leaves - May 09, 2011
- IPL scoreboard: Royal Challengers vs Deccan Chargers - Apr 09, 2010
- Deccan Chargers win IPL - May 25, 2009
- RCB desperate to return to winning streak - May 05, 2012
- IPL scoreboard: Deccan Chargers vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - May 25, 2009
Tags: adam gilchrist, Andrew Symonds, Anil Kumble, challengers, cricket field, deccan, dismissals, good spirit, great personality, kohli, odi series, phenomenal effort, ross taylor, rounder, sydney morning herald, team man, two balls, wanderers stadium, wicketkeeper, wickets