Giant Olympic Rings unveiled at Channel TunnelDecember 21st, 2011 - 10:07 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 21 (IANS) A giant set of Olympic Rings was unveiled above the entrance to the Channel Tunnel in north France, which is one of the most important gateways to the United Kingdom from the European continent.
The Rings will be seen by hundreds of thousands passengers travelling by Eurostar trains to St. Pancras in London.
The set of rings measures 9.4 metres in width and 4.7 metres in height, transported in segments and placed by a team of rock climbers taking two nights’ time, Xinhua reported.
It is hoped by the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (LOCOG) that these Rings are to welcome visitors travelling from Europe at the first sight and to demonstrate that London is the best destination for the summer in 2012.
Jonathan Edwards, LOCOG Athletes Commission Chair, said: “It is a very powerful symbol of London being ready to welcome the world in 2012, and it is a great example of British and French cooperation.”
Jean-Pierre Mougin, General Secretary of French Olympic Committee: “That is very good news that today we celebrate the Olympic Rings at the entrance of the Euro tunnel, and it obviously is a big news, it is a good news also regarding the relationship between France and the UK, and we are very happy to be here today.”
LOCOG said now they are in good shape for the mega event.
Edwards, who still holds the men’s triple jump world record, said: “Everything is coming very fast, there is so much to do, and we are working incredibly hard to make sure we are ready to host the fantastic event.”
- London 2012 anti-doping laboratory receives seal of approval - Apr 24, 2012
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- London Olympics uniforms unveiled - Nov 23, 2011
- LOCOG apologises to India for opening ceremony incident - Aug 01, 2012
- London 2012 ticket resale from Jan 6 - Dec 15, 2011
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- London apologises to North Korea after flag blunder - Jul 26, 2012
- Jodie Foster to preside over France's Cesar Awards next month - Jan 12, 2011
- London 2012 on time and within budget - Jun 14, 2012
- London Olympic tickets unveiled - May 22, 2012
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- London Olympics motto 'Inspire a generation' unveiled - Apr 18, 2012
- Olympics bosses say soldiers' uniforms 'intimidating' - Jul 25, 2012
- School children create largest human London 2012 Logo - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: channel tunnel, commission chair, euro tunnel, european continent, eurostar trains, good shape, jean pierre mougin, jonathan edwards, jump world, locog, north france, olympic committee, olympic games, olympic rings, organising committee, rock climbers, st pancras, thousands passengers, triple jump, xinhua