Ghana president backs soccer team to fight backFebruary 17th, 2012 - 1:17 pm ICT by IANS
Accra, Feb 17 (IANS) Ghanaian President John Evans Atta Mills has assured players and handlers of the national football team, the Black Stars, that the government would support them to regain their enviable position on the world football scene.
Addressing parliament here Thursday, President Mills said though the team did not lift the just-ended African Nations Cup as anticipated, he found solace in the fact that Ghana lost the semi-final encounter to Zambia, who were the eventual winners of the competition.
He, however, suggested the team to concentrate especially on penalty kicks which had been the bane of the country at major contests, Xinhua reports.
He praised the nation’s sportspersons for their achievements in 2011 that had put the country on a high pedestal.
At the 10th All Africa Games held in Maputo, Mozambique, last September, Ghana put up the best performance ever by winning 19 medals.
The national under-23 men’s football team and their Under-20 women’s counterparts won gold and silver respectively at the Games.
Ghana were favourites to win the Nations Cup co-hosted by Gabon and Equatorial Guinea but came fourth after losing the third place match to West African neighbours Mali.
Ghana moved up three places on the February edition of the FIFA world rankings to occupy the 23rd position from last month’s 26th.
- Ghana names Maxwell Konadu as assistant coach - May 04, 2012
- Ghana disappointed at semi-final loss in African Cup soccer - Feb 09, 2012
- Ghana to decide football's coach fate - Feb 23, 2012
- Ghana to provide bonuses for African Cup title - Jan 11, 2012
- Ghana football association dismisses player gambling rumour - Feb 18, 2012
- Ghana sacks Serbian football coach - Mar 20, 2012
- Zambia moves to fourth position in African football - Feb 16, 2012
- Ghana jumps in FIFA rankings - Jan 19, 2012
- Ghana announce squad for 2014 World Cup qualifiers - May 19, 2012
- Zambia yet to receive money for winning 2012 Africa Cup - Mar 15, 2012
- Asamoah Gyan quits Ghana's national team - Feb 19, 2012
- Euphoria engulfs Zambia after AFCON triumph - Feb 13, 2012
- Indian business delegation to visit Ghana next week - Jul 05, 2012
- Ghana to play China in international friendly - Jul 21, 2012
- Ghana star Gyan announces return to national football team - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: africa games, african nations cup, atta, bane, best performance, black stars, equatorial guinea, fifa world rankings, final encounter, football scene, john evans, last september, national football team, pedestal, penalty kicks, president john, soccer team, solace, world football, xinhua