Ghana disappointed at semi-final loss in African Cup soccerFebruary 9th, 2012 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Accra, Feb 9 (IANS) Ghanaian football fans have expressed disappointment at the national team’s failure to qualify for the final of the African Nations Cup tournament co-hosted by Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.
Substitute Emmanuel Mayuka scored the only goal in the 78th minute in the cagey semi-final Wednesday to push Zambia to the final of the three-week competition.
The fans singled out Black Stars striker Asamoah Gyan, who missed a penalty in the 10th minute of the first segment of the game for the loss against a much-determined Zambian side.
Others called for the resignation or dismissal of coach Goran Stevanovic for failing to select and assemble the cream of talented Ghanaian footballers for the tournament.
“The coach said himself that if we failed to win, he would resign so I don’t expect him to return to Ghana. If the coach is not sacked, he will collapse the Black Stars,” said Kwame Kodua, a staunch follower of the team.
Ghana’s first attempt at goal came through a penalty in the eighth minute after Kwadwo Asamoah was brought down in the box, Xinhua reports.
Asamoah Gyan stepped up to take the kick but Chipolopolo goalkeeper, Kennedy Mweene palmed it away for a corner.
Derek Boateng was booked in the 70th minute after an aerial challenge on Zambian skipper Christopher Katongo, becoming Ghana’s second player to be booked in the tournament.
Most soccer pundits had cited Ghana as co-favourites alongside Cote d’Ivoire to come first at Nations Cup finals, most especially with the absence of African football power houses like Egypt, Cameroon, South Africa and Nigeria.
Ghana will play the winner of the Cote d’Ivoire-Mali game for the third place.
- Euphoria engulfs Zambia after AFCON triumph - Feb 13, 2012
- Zambia moves to fourth position in African football - Feb 16, 2012
- Ghana to decide football's coach fate - Feb 23, 2012
- Ghana star Gyan announces return to national football team - Jul 12, 2012
- Asamoah Gyan quits Ghana's national team - Feb 19, 2012
- Ghana make Africa proud with 2-1 win over USA (Lead) - Jun 27, 2010
- Ivory Coast in quarters of Africa Cup - Jan 16, 2010
- Ghana sacks Serbian football coach - Mar 20, 2012
- Ghana enters quarter final with 2-1 win over US (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2010
- Ghana downs Serbia 1-0 - Jun 13, 2010
- Ghana football association dismisses player gambling rumour - Feb 18, 2012
- Ghana down Serbia 1-0 with late Gyan penalty (Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- Africa mourns Ghana's exit in World Cup - Jul 03, 2010
- Uruguay end Ghana fairy tale, reach semis (Roundup) - Jul 03, 2010
- Ghana's Ayew named Man of the Match - Jun 27, 2010
Tags: accra, african cup, african football, african nations cup, black stars, christopher katongo, cup soccer, derek boateng, eighth minute, equatorial guinea, follower, football fans, footballers, gyan, kwame, mayuka, nigeria ghana, power houses, pundits, xinhua