Gerrard stunned to be named Football Writers’ Player of the Year.May 14th, 2009 - 1:30 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 14 (ANI): Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard, 28, pipped Manchester United’s Ryan Giggs by 10 votes to pick up the Football Writers’ Association award.
Gerrard, who takes the honour back to Anfield for the first time since John Barnes in 1990, said: “I’m delighted but surprised.
“When you look at the quality of the players there are in this league, it’s a great privilege. It’s not just the Man United players, when you look at what Chelsea and Arsenal and the other teams have got, they all have fantastic players throughout their squads now. The quality gets better and better each year so to win this award is a great achievement for myself,” The Sun quoted him, as saying.But the Reds talisman confessed he was in two minds whether to even answer his phone when it rang on Tuesday night, as he feared it could be bad news.
Liverpool media chief Ian Cotton was the man ringing and Gerrard revealed: “When I got the call I was debating whether or not to take it. I thought I might have been in the papers for the wrong reasons! But when I did take the call and he delivered the good news it was a great feeling.” (ANI)
- 'Bad' game against Liverpool has left Man U in fight with Arsenal for Premier Legaue - Mar 10, 2011
- Chelsea and Man United square up in biggest match of season - Nov 05, 2009
- I will put all my power to ensure King Kenny stays - Jan 19, 2011
- City will be a thorn in our flesh: Ferguson - Jul 19, 2011
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Carroll may start against France in Euro 2012 - May 30, 2012
- Fergie praises Giggs for shattering Chelsea's Champions League dreams - Apr 13, 2011
- Liverpool sack manager Roy Hodgson, Dalglish returns - Jan 08, 2011
- Gunners are like a wounded animal, says Liverpool's Gerrard - Feb 10, 2010
- Beckham backs Giggs as Britain Olympic team's skipper - Jul 13, 2012
- Furious Fergie accuses Gerrard of "gifting" Chelsea victory - May 03, 2010
- Torres urges Liverpool to let him join Chelsea - Jan 29, 2011
- Man U veteran Giggs asks Rooney to toughen up - Oct 01, 2010
- Only Man U or Chelsea can win this season's Premier League title: Nani - Dec 23, 2010
- Gerrard calls for patience from Liverpool fans - Apr 07, 2012
Tags: arsenal, bad news, chelsea, football writers association, honour, john barnes, liverpool, london, man united, manchester united, privilege, reds, ryan giggs, skipper, steven gerrard, sun, talisman, tuesday night