Germany’s Gomez got lucky: Portugal coachJune 10th, 2012 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
Lviv (Ukraine), June 10 (RIA Novosti) Portugal coach Paulo Bento said that Germany striker Mario Gomez got lucky in scoring the goal that consigned the Portuguese to a 1-0 Euro 2012 defeat.
Gomez rose in the 74th minute to head precisely into the corner of Rui Patricio’s goal, and the Germans staved off belated pressure to get off to a good start in Group B here Saturday night.
“We were defending great but then Mario Gomez had that great bit of luck,” Bento said. “They controlled the game but we still defended well. Then in the last minutes we did everything we could to create chances, but we didn’t score.”
He cursed his own team’s bad luck, including a 45th-minute shot from defender Pepe that rebounded off the crossbar.
“We have played a good game, and we have lost. This is football, there is nothing you can do about it.”
The win takes the Germans joint top of the group after Denmark’s surprise 1-0 win over the Netherlands earlier Saturday.
Germany face the Netherlands next on Wednesday, with Denmark playing Portugal.
- We were disciplined for brutal Euro 2012 opener: Loew - Jun 10, 2012
- Germany beats Portugal 1-0 in Euro 2012 - Jun 10, 2012
- Germany's Gomez breaks deadlock for win over Portugal (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- We can still make it, says Portugal's Pepe - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain edge Portugal for third-straight Euro final (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Portugal calm despite win-or-bust Denmark test - Jun 13, 2012
- Euro 2012: Portugal beating Denmark a 'just' result, says coach - Jun 14, 2012
- Germany must improve: Man of Match Ozil - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Portugal steal 3-2 win over Danes - Jun 14, 2012
- Euro 2012 Group B Preview: Many challenges in Group of Death - Jun 05, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany beat Danes to set up Greece quarterfinal - Jun 18, 2012
- Portugal's Postiga wants better service against Danes - Jun 13, 2012
- Germans jittery but fully fit for Euro 2012 - Jun 08, 2012
- Low expects defensive Greece in quarters - Jun 18, 2012
- Germans lacked killer instinct: Coach - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: bad luck, crossbar, denmark, euro 2012, germans, good game, last minutes, lviv ukraine, mario gomez, netherlands, paulo bento, pepe, portugal, ria novosti, rn, rui, saturday night, striker, surprise, t score