Germany, Ghana through after German victory (Lead)June 24th, 2010 - 3:42 am ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, June 24 (DPA) Three-time world champions Germany advanced to the Round of 16 by surviving a strong Ghana side 1-0 to win Group D and join the Africans in the knockout stage.
In front of 83,391 spectators at Soweto’s Soccer City Stadium, Mesut Oezil - named FIFA Man of the Match - scored the winner in the 60th minute for the 1954, 1974 and 1990 title-winners Germany, who avoided getting bounced from the first round of the World Cup - which would have been the first time in their history.
Germany finished Group D in first place with six points and will take on England in the Round of 16 while Ghana will play the Group C winners United States after claiming second place with four points.
Ghana, who lost to Brazil in the Round of 16 at Germany 2006, became just the second African nation to advance out of the World Cup first phase twice, following Nigeria in 1994 and 1998.
And Milovan Rajevac’s Ghanaians became the first African nation to advance to the Round of 16 at the first African World Cup after hosts South Africa as well as Nigeria, Cameroon and Algeria all were eliminated.
- Germany set up England clash, Ghana salvage African pride (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2010
- Ghana's Serbian coach Rajevac swaps loyalty - Jun 12, 2010
- New stars set to shine for Ghana (Group D team profile) - May 29, 2010
- Ghana look to shine brighter second time around (Team Profile) - Nov 25, 2009
- Key men missing for Ghana as they look to make history - Jun 30, 2010
- African teams struggle at World Cup on home soil - Jun 18, 2010
- Rajevac warns Ghana against complacency - Jun 18, 2010
- Ghana disappointed at semi-final loss in African Cup soccer - Feb 09, 2012
- Ghana ready to make footballing history - Jul 02, 2010
- Vuvuzelas will now blow loudly for Ghana - Jun 29, 2010
- US seek revenge as Ghana fly the flag for Africa - Jun 25, 2010
- Gyan vows to bounce back after shock penalty miss - Jul 03, 2010
- Uruguay end African fairy tale, earn spot in semis (Lead) - Jul 03, 2010
- Uruguay end Ghana fairy tale, reach semis (Roundup) - Jul 03, 2010
- Injury-crisis for Ghana ahead of Australia clash - Jun 18, 2010
Tags: african nation, africans, four points, german victory, germany 2006, ghana, ghanaians, history germany, johannesburg, june 24, knockout stage, mesut, side 1, six points, soccer city, soweto, spectators, time world champions, title winners, world cup