Germany defeat Faroe Islands 3-0September 8th, 2012 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, Sep 8 (IANS) Germany sealed an expected 3-0 win against Faroe Islands in Group C to start with a win in 2014 World Cup qualifiers owing to a brace by Mesut Oezil and a goal by Mario Goetze at AWD Arena.
This win Friday put Germany on top in Group C, reports Xinhua.
From kick-off, Germany took over control against passive Faroes who defended deep to lurk for counter-attacks.
The Germans staged short passing combinations and fast breaks to overcome the visitor’s bulwark. Occasionally the Faroes were able to threaten the host with a few fast breaks.
However, in the 28th minute Germany were rewarded for their efforts when midfielder Mario Goetze shrugged off five defenders at penalty line to beat goalkeeper Gunnar Nielsen with a low shot into bottom left.
Germany pressed for goals but Klose and Mueller pulled just wide before the break.
In second half Germany started where they left off as midfielder Mesut Oezil volleyed home a cross by Thomas Mueller following a fast break, nine minutes into second half.
Germany remained offensive to produce goal-scoring opportunities but Faroe Islands goalkeeper Gunnar Nielsen gave the hosts a hard time with his saves.
With 71 minutes into the match Mesut Oezil was not done when he scored another past Nielsen for the 3-0 final score.
It was the highest win against Faroe Islands and the 500th win of the German national squad overall.
“We were focused from the start. Our problem is that we need too many chances to score goals,” Germany coach Joachim Loew said.
- Schweinsteiger to miss Germany's World Cup qualifiers - Aug 31, 2012
- Germany reveal provisional squad for Euro 2012 - May 08, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany take on Portugal in first top clash - Jun 08, 2012
- Germany down Netherlands in football friendly, England beat Sweden - Nov 16, 2011
- Germany's Gomez breaks deadlock for win over Portugal (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- German coach Loew drops Cacau from Euro 2012 squad - May 29, 2012
- Germany crush England 4-1 for quarterfinal berth (Lead) - Jun 27, 2010
- Germany continue winning streak at Euro 2012 qualifiers - Oct 12, 2011
- Klose quietly ready to reach his century - Jul 02, 2010
- Germany flatten Greece 4-2 to make Euro semis - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: awd arena, bulwark, combinations, faroe islands, faroes, fast break, fast breaks, final score, germans, goetze, gunnar, hard time, joachim loew, klose, match, nielsen, second half, thomas mueller, world cup, xinhua