Germans lacked killer instinct: CoachJune 18th, 2012 - 7:40 am ICT by IANS
Lviv (Ukraine), June 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Germans lacked a killer instinct but feel “great joy” for their victory over Denmark and passage into the Euro 2012 quarterfinals, coach Joachim Low said Sunday.
Lars Bender scored an 80th minute winner to give the Germans a 2-1 victory in Lviv, but the coach said his team should have ended the contest in the first half, when Thomas Muller and Mario Gomez missed easy chances.
“The first half we lacked that killer instinct to make it 3-0 or 4-0,” he said.
But a “mature” and “collected” effort despite the Danes defending in numbers in the second half saw them through, Low said.
“The happiness is great, the joy is great. To get out of a group with nine points is just great.”
Lukas Podolski, winning his 100th cap, scored the opener for the Germans on 19 minutes, slamming home from six yards out after Muller’s low cross from the right was missed by Gomez.
Denmark equalized on 24 minutes through Michael Krohn-Dehli, who leapt above Mats Hummels to redirect a Nicklas Bendter header into the net from close range.
Germany earn a quarterfinal against Group A second-place team Greece, while the Portuguese, finishing second, will play Group A winners the Czech Republic.
- Low expects defensive Greece in quarters - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany beat Danes to set up Greece quarterfinal - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012: Olsen rues lost penalty as Denmark crash out - Jun 18, 2012
- Great day for me, says German debutant Lars Bender - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012: Portugal steal 3-2 win over Danes - Jun 14, 2012
- Leading scorers at Euro 2012 - Jun 18, 2012
- Krohn-Dehli strikes as Denmark shocks Netherlands - Jun 10, 2012
- Portugal calm despite win-or-bust Denmark test - Jun 13, 2012
- Denmark defeat Sweden 2-0 in football friendly - Nov 12, 2011
- Euro 2012: Coach Olsen laments 'unlucky' Danes - Jun 14, 2012
- Denmark defeat was like a bad movie: Robben - Jun 10, 2012
- Germany's Gomez breaks deadlock for win over Portugal (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Germany beats Portugal 1-0 in Euro 2012 - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany down Dutch 2-1 on Gomez double - Jun 14, 2012
- Champions League defeat a thing of past: Thomas Muller - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: bender, close range, czech republic, dehli, euro 2012, germans, great joy, happiness, joachim low, killer instinct, krohn, lars, lukas podolski, mario gomez, minute winner, quarterfinal, quarterfinals, ria novosti, snb, thomas muller