German footballer urges gay players to ‘come out’ and support homosexualityNovember 12th, 2010 - 1:47 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 12(ANI): Germany striker Mario Gomez has urged gay footballer to come out and support homosexuality in the sport.
Gomez has broken ranks with the German Football Federation and team-mates, who have warned that coming out could destroy a player’s career.
However, Gomez, who has not revealed if he is gay, said that being honest about their sexuality would improve gay players’ performance.
“They would play as if they had been liberated. Being gay should no longer be a taboo topic,” the Guardian quoted Gomez, as saying.
The 25-year-old further said that there were plenty of role models in the rest of German society to give gay players the courage to come out.
“We’ve got a gay vice-chancellor [Guido Westerwelle], the Berlin mayor [Klaus Wowereit] is gay. So, professional footballers should own up to their preference,” Gomez said.
The only German footballer to have come out and accept that he is gay is Marcus Urban, who told his teammates in 1997 and promptly ended his professional career. (ANI)
- Mario Gomez Urges Gay Footballers To "Come Out" - Nov 12, 2010
- Public display of affection at Berlin gay parade - Jun 25, 2011
- Hostility to homosexuality is still rife in modern Football - Nov 14, 2010
- Rainbow hues in Berlin ahead of gay parade - Jun 24, 2011
- German coach names players for Argentina friendly - Aug 10, 2012
- Germany, a pillar to curb Iranian nuke programme: Israel - Sep 10, 2012
- German Foreign Minister Westerwelle steps down as German Vice Chancellor - Apr 05, 2011
- Spain's policy will create jobs: Germany - Jul 23, 2012
- Germany calls for new sanctions against Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Olympic games for gays and lesbians held - Aug 12, 2010
- 8 out of 10 Brit footie fans say they would back gay players who come out - Aug 08, 2010
- UAE, Germany discuss bilateral relations - Aug 29, 2012
- Greece needs structural reforms to rebuild economy: Merkel - Jan 16, 2012
- World leaders congratulate Hollande - May 07, 2012
- Bayern to miss Robben, Kroos in Champions League clash at City - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,