German coach names players for Argentina friendlyAugust 10th, 2012 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, Aug 10 (IANS) German football coach Joachim Loew has appointed 17 players from the nation’s Euro squad and two other youngsters for their upcoming friendly against Argentina, the German Football Association (DFB) announced.
Loew nominated 17 out of 23 players from European championship. In addition he invited Dortmund midfielder Sven Bender and Schalke midfielder Julian Draxler who were already part of the extended Euro squad, reports Xinhua.
Captain Philipp Lahm was not invited as his wife expects their first child. “I made the decision due to his private situation,” Loew said in an official statement.
Vice-captain Bastian Schweinsteiger as well as Mario Gomez are sidelined due to injury. Arsenal players Lukas Podolski and Per Mertesacker were not nominated after consultation with coach Arsene Wenger.
“For both players it appears more important that they spend these last few days before the start of the season with the ‘Gunners’ in London,” Joachim Loew said.
The match will be played in Frankfurt Aug 15.
- Germany reveal provisional squad for Euro 2012 - May 08, 2012
- German coach Loew drops Cacau from Euro 2012 squad - May 29, 2012
- Schweinsteiger to miss Germany's World Cup qualifiers - Aug 31, 2012
- We are not the favourites: German soccer coach - Jun 02, 2012
- Loew to reveal thinking in final test for Germany - Jun 02, 2010
- Lahm to skipper Germany at World Cup; Neuer is keeper - May 28, 2010
- A young German team is one of the favourites (Group D team profile) - May 29, 2010
- Germany revamps squad for Uruguay game - Jul 11, 2010
- Loew calls up Hunt and Mueller for friendlies - Nov 06, 2009
- Euro 2012: Germany take on Portugal in first top clash - Jun 08, 2012
- Loew stays on as Germany's coach until Euro 2012 - Jul 20, 2010
- Loew is proud of his team but leaves his future open - Jul 11, 2010
- Bayern are here for serious business, says coach Jupp Heynckes - Jan 09, 2012
- World Cup now "in our own hands", Germany's Loew says - Jul 04, 2010
- Germans look to midfield artist formerly known as Schweini - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: arsenal players, bender, dfb, draxler, football coach, german coach, german football association, gunners, joachim loew, julian, mario gomez, midfielder, philipp lahm, podolski, private situation, schalke, vice captain, wenger, xinhua, youngsters