German clubs given tough challenges in UEFA CupDecember 20th, 2008 - 12:44 pm ICT by IANS
Nyon (Switzerland), Dec 20 (DPA) Werder Bremen will face seven-time European football champions AC Milan in the UEFA Cup’s round of 32 following the draw made here.Holders Zenit St Petersburg face German opposition VfB Stuttgart while SV Hamburg have been pitted against Dutch side NEC Nijmegen and VfL Wolfsburg take on Paris St Germain.
Big-spending Manchester City will expect to progress at the expense of FC Copenhagen but Aston Villa face a challenging task against CSKA Moscow. Tottenham Hotspurs will also need to be at their best if they want to overcome Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk.
Victory for Harry Redknapp’s side could set up potential all-English clash against Villa in the next round which was also drawn Friday.
Valencia also face Ukrainian opposition in Dynamo Kiev while Deportivo La Coruna will be satisfied after being drawn against Danish side Aalborg.
Serie A side Udinese take on Lech Poznan of Poland and Sampdoria face Metalist Kharkiv.
Olympiakos Piraeus meet Saint-Etienne knowing either Bremen or Milan await in the next round while SC Braga take on Belgian side Standard Liege.
Bordeaux meet Galatasaray and Olympique Marseille face FC Twente with the winners up against Fiorentina or Ajax Amsterdam.
The round of 32 matches are set to be played Feb 18, 19 and 26, with round of 16 matches slated for March 12, 18 and 19.
- Chelsea get tricky draw; Madrid, City in group of death - Aug 31, 2012
- Ukraine's coach Blokhin names Euro 2012 squad - May 30, 2012
- Dundee United to face Dynamo Moscow in Europa League - Jul 20, 2012
- Manchester City, Marseille win in UEFA Cup - Mar 13, 2009
- Milan held in Bremen; Hamburg win away in Champions League - Feb 19, 2009
- Drogba stars as Chelsea march into champions league last 16 - Dec 07, 2011
- Champions League: Barcelona, Chelsea, Arsenal and AC Milan win - Oct 20, 2011
- Dynamo drawn against Stuttgart in Europa League playoffs - Aug 10, 2012
- Spanish duo tumble in UEFA Cup; big wins for PSG, Olympiakos - Dec 19, 2008
- Champions League: Barcelona held by Milan, Arsenal by Dortmund - Sep 14, 2011
- Champions League: Milan draw Barca, Chelsea face Benfica - Mar 16, 2012
- Spartak take on Fenerbahce in Champions League playoff - Aug 10, 2012
- Three Spanish clubs eye Europa League semis - Apr 04, 2012
- Milan, CSKA progress in UEFA Cup - Nov 28, 2008
- Anzhi draw Liverpool, Udinese in Europa League - Sep 01, 2012