Gazza’s eight-week jail sentence suspended by Newcastle courtDecember 10th, 2010 - 4:53 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 10(ANI): Former England football star Paul Gascoigne’s eight-week jail sentence has been suspended by a Newcastle Magistrates’ Court in recognition of his progress in a rehabilitation clinic.
Gascoigne was earlier handed a two-month jail term, suspended for 12 months, and ordered to undergo treatment for alcoholism after he admitted to drink-driving.
The 43-year-old was also banned from driving for three years, subject to a 12-month supervision order and was asked to undertake a six-month drink programme after rehab.
The court was on Thursday told that Gascoigne was five weeks into a 12-week anti-drink programme in Dorset.
District Judge Stephen Earl said the prison sentence was suspended in recognition of Gascoigne’s progress at the Providence Rehab Clinic, and told him that it was his last chance to avoid prison.
“I am sure some will disagree with me. I hope not to see you again,” the BBC quoted Judge Earl, as saying.
The judge, however, warned Gascoigne that if he re-offended in the next 12 months, the jail term would be triggered.
Gazza was caught driving an MG car erratically by police in Jesmond, Newcastle, on October 8 at 2.45pm.
He had 142mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath in Newcastle, while the legal limit is only 35mg. (ANI)
- Gazza may be jailed for druk driving - Nov 11, 2010
- Witness' failure to attend court delays Gazza 'drik-driving' care for 3rd time - Dec 14, 2010
- Gazza facing jail for drunk driving - Oct 21, 2010
- 'I've already died twice,' says Gazza - Mar 11, 2011
- Gascoigne back in rehab following cocaine arrest - Oct 25, 2010
- Gazza faces Christmas behind bars after failing to appear before court - Nov 12, 2010
- Rehab clinic asks media to stop "harassing" Gazza - Nov 21, 2010
- Drunk Gascoigne taken to hospital after trashing Brit hotel with curry, puke and stubs - Oct 27, 2010
- No end to 'glazed and legless' Gazza's drinking woes - Nov 05, 2010
- Gazza's drink-driving charge dropped - Feb 11, 2011
- Facing jail time for drunk driving, Gazza now wants to be an actor - Nov 10, 2010
- Gazza, Greaves, to undertake stage show - Mar 24, 2011
- Delhi Police anti-drinking drive to continue after Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- Brit man was so drunk he drove 4 miles with one wheel missing - Apr 07, 2011
- Drunk Brit-Indian school bus driver who sliced roof off double-decker avoids jail - Sep 18, 2010
Tags: 100ml, alcoholism, court london, district judge, dorset, england football, football star, gazza, jail sentence, jail term, jesmond, last chance, magistrates court, mg car, newcastle, october 8, paul gascoigne, prison sentence, rehab clinic, rehabilitation clinic