Gazzas breakdown similar to George BestsJune 5th, 2008 - 8:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 5 (ANI): Troubled former England football star Paul Gascoigne’s breakdown is a mirror image of George Bests battle with alcohol, said the late stars ex-wife.
Alex Best said fans flocked to buy George booze. She said: People want to say we have bought Paul Gascoigne a drink, or George Best a drink. Theyre killing him.
Its a mirror image of George. Its tragic something like this can happen again, The Sun quoted her, as saying.
Manchester United legend Best died in 2005 aged 59.
Meanwhile, Gascoignes ex-wife Sheryl was at his side on Wednesday, helping him begin the long battle to overcome his booze-fuelled mental health problems.
Sheryl, 43, rushed from her home to be with Gazza after he was sectioned under the Mental Health Act for his own safety.
And yesterday the gaunt star walked arm-in-arm in the gardens of the Priory with the woman he drunkenly battered during their short and troubled marriage.
Gazza, 42, cracked a rare smile as they strolled in South-West London. And when a wellwisher asked how he was feeling, the ex-Spurs and England ace said: I’m OK, thanks.
Friends said Sheryl has put aside the bitterness of their violent marriage to give him the support he so desperately needs after he pleaded for help. (ANI)
- Gascoigne's ex-wife gets undisclosed libel damages from UK paper - Dec 18, 2010
- Drinking himself to death is Gazza''''s greatest fear - Feb 27, 2009
- 'I've already died twice,' says Gazza - Mar 11, 2011
- No end to 'glazed and legless' Gazza's drinking woes - Nov 05, 2010
- Ex-wife says 'she's public enemy No. 1 for revealing Gazza's abuse' - Oct 14, 2009
- Gazza plans to remarry his ex-wife - Jun 30, 2008
- I'm A Celeb reality show bosses kick Gazza out, replace him with ex-wife - Oct 24, 2009
- Gazza vows he'll never marry again - May 17, 2009
- Gazza checks into rehab again - Jul 15, 2010
- Gazza believes ex-wife is aiming to kill him - Jun 16, 2009
- Gazza's drink-driving charge dropped - Feb 11, 2011
- Gazza wants to reunite with his ex-wife - Mar 25, 2009
- Gascoigne slept with hookers, claims ex-wife - Oct 10, 2009
- Gazza's drinking pal accused of telling absolute pack of lies in court - Feb 16, 2011
- Gazza may remarry his ex-wife - Jul 28, 2008
Tags: ace, alcohol, arm in arm, bitterness, booze, england football, football star, gazza, george bests, manchester united, mental health act, mental health problems, mirror image, paul gascoigne, priory, south west london, spurs, troubled marriage, violent marriage, wife alex