Gazzas alcohol binge brings back bad memories for his last club bossJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 4:35 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan.23 (ANI): Former England football star Paul Gascoignes shambolic depiction as a drunken wreck with abusive tantrums on TV this month sparked bad memories for Imraan Ladak, the chairman of the Kettering Football Club.
The Kettering chairman gave Gazza his last job in football in October 2005 after being part of a consortium that bought the Rockingham Road club and installed the volatile England legend as boss.
Gazzas brief reign at the non-league Poppies was a disaster as his alcohol problem spiralled out of control?
The club catalogued 37 instances of drunken behaviour in his ill-fated 39-day reign and according to The Mirror, Ladak claimed Gascoigne was so out of it, he could not remember their conversations.
Ladak sacked Gascoigne after just eight matches, stating the star was under the influence of alcohol before, during and after several first-team games and training sessions.
There was a dream we had to try and achieve something with Paul and it is a real disappointment it didnt work out, said Ladak.
I was the chairman and I have to bear some responsibility. When things dont work out, you always question your actions afterwards. There was always an element of risk but we did it with the best intentions, he added.
Football fans like to remember Gascoigne as a swashbuckling midfielder who won 57 caps for England and scored 10 goals when he was widely regarded as the most gifted player of his generation.
Gazza has had a troubled life since leaving professional football in 2002 as his persistent alcohol problems and bouts of depression have increased.
Gascoignes plight even saw him sectioned for a second time under the Mental Health Act last summer.
Ladak says seeing the fallen idols sad existence makes him despair after growing up hero-worshipping Gascoigne. (ANI)
- Gascoigne set for 'big challenge' as manager of non-league Garforth Town - Sep 26, 2010
- No end to 'glazed and legless' Gazza's drinking woes - Nov 05, 2010
- Drunk Gascoigne taken to hospital after trashing Brit hotel with curry, puke and stubs - Oct 27, 2010
- Gazza ticked off after street kick about with nephew - Aug 24, 2010
- Gascoigne back in rehab following cocaine arrest - Oct 25, 2010
- Witness' failure to attend court delays Gazza 'drik-driving' care for 3rd time - Dec 14, 2010
- Gazza looks like 'Elephant Man' after car smash - Jun 17, 2010
- Gazza's eight-week jail sentence suspended by Newcastle court - Dec 10, 2010
- Facing jail time for drunk driving, Gazza now wants to be an actor - Nov 10, 2010
- 'I'm an alcoholic, I'm ill, but I'm not a bad person,' says Gazza - Aug 23, 2010
- Tipsy Gazza claims he use to provide criminal Moat with lager and chicken - Jul 10, 2010
- Gazza head butts a bouncer following smoking row - Oct 20, 2009
- Gazza's drink-driving charge dropped - Feb 11, 2011
- Gazza placed behind bars again after hotel fracas - Feb 09, 2010
- 'I've already died twice,' says Gazza - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: alcohol problem, alcohol problems, bad memories, best intentions, club boss, england football, football fans, football star, gifted player, imraan ladak, kettering, last job, london jan, mental health act, poppies, professional football, rockingham road, tantrums, team games, troubled life