Gazza wants to turn Ironman to exorcise drink and drug demonsFebruary 9th, 2009 - 6:03 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 9 (ANI): Former England football legend Paul John Gascoigne, popularly referred to as Gazza, wants to take part in the gruelling Ironman Triathlon event, in a bid to conquer his drink, drug and depression problems.
Playing in the position of midfield, Pauls career included spells at Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, Middlesbrough, Everton, Lazio and Rangers. He was also capped 57 times for England.
According to a report in the Daily Star, Gazza has spent the last month in intensive rehab therapy at Tony Adams Sporting Chance clinic, and his friends say that a change in regime has inspired him to focus on fitness instead of the high life.
One friend of the former midfielder said that Gazza reckons the gruelling Ironman Triathlon event is just the challenge he needs to become a changed man.
Paul has been getting himself in great shape while hes been in rehab. Nearly every day, hes been in the gym and its got him thinking about taking on a challenge, said the friend.
If Gazza goes ahead and enters the contest, which is organized by the World Triathlon Corporation every year, he will have to tackle a 2.4-mile swim, followed by a 112-mile bike ride and then a marathon.
Were not just talking about a 10k run or something. The Ironman would be the ultimate! the friend said about the triathlon.
According to sports science experts, former England ace Gazza, 41, is likely to have a strong fitness base from his days on the pitch.
Even if Paul hasnt done that much exercise in recent years, his body will remember the demands he once placed on it, one of the experts said.
Because of that muscle memory, he stands a good chance of recovering his fitness very quickly, he added.
Paul has been staying at Champneys Forest Mere health farm in Hampshire during his spell at the clinic. (ANI)
- No end to 'glazed and legless' Gazza's drinking woes - Nov 05, 2010
- Gazza may be jailed for druk driving - Nov 11, 2010
- Facing jail time for drunk driving, Gazza now wants to be an actor - Nov 10, 2010
- Gazza's eight-week jail sentence suspended by Newcastle court - Dec 10, 2010
- HobNob munching Gazza says cheating death in crash beat booze addiction - Aug 21, 2010
- Gazza faces Christmas behind bars after failing to appear before court - Nov 12, 2010
- Gascoigne back in rehab following cocaine arrest - Oct 25, 2010
- Gascoigne regrets turning down Fergie's Man U offer earlier in his career - Mar 09, 2011
- 'Sick man' Gazza wants 12-week rehab programme to work - Jul 22, 2010
- Gazza offered psychological support if he signs up for Celebrity Big Brother - Jan 01, 2010
- Gazza ticked off after street kick about with nephew - Aug 24, 2010
- Gazza accused of 'groping shopgirl' - Jul 20, 2010
- Gazza determined to beat his drink, drugs demons - Jan 24, 2009
- Gazza wants to change his name to 'Gassa' - Aug 29, 2012
- Rehab clinic asks media to stop "harassing" Gazza - Nov 21, 2010
Tags: bike ride, daily star, depression problems, england football, fitness base, football legend, forest mere health farm, great shape, gruelling, london feb, man paul, mile bike, muscle memory, newcastle united, rehab therapy, science experts, sporting chance, sports science, tottenham hotspur, world triathlon