Gazza saves himself from bankruptcy by selling two housesJanuary 9th, 2009 - 7:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 9 (ANI): Troubled football star Paul Gascoigne has saved himself from bankruptcy by selling two holiday homes.
Gascoigne was due to be declared bankrupt at a hearing in London over an unpaid 200,000 pounds tax bill, but managed to pay off the debt by selling two properties he owned in Spain and Bulgaria.
He is delighted to put this matter behind him, the Daily Star quoted his solicitor Craig Montgomery, as saying.
He said there was no suggestion Gazza did not have the funds to pay his tax bill.
But because the tormented star has no regular income and it had taken time to work out where everything was.
The taxman applied for bankruptcy in November after Gazza, 41, was said to have failed to file returns for the past two years.
Gazza, estimated to have earned 14million pounds during his career, was given nine weeks to find the cash. He has spent most of the time in the Stepps rehab centre in Minsterworth, Glos.
He has been having pioneering 2,000 pound-a-week treatment, which involves talking to horses. And next week he is due to enter Portsmouth manager Tony Adams Sporting Chance clinic.
But he had another setback when his ex-wife Sheryl and son Regan disowned him in a TV documentary screened on Monday.
A family pal said: His tax problems have been yet another weight on his mind. But he realises they are nothing compared to his sobriety. He knows his only hope of being able to deal with life is by getting well. (ANI)
- Mum collapses in tears after grandson disowns Gazza - Jan 07, 2009
- 'I've already died twice,' says Gazza - Mar 11, 2011
- Gazza banned from watching TV documentary in which son disowns him - Jan 05, 2009
- Gazza pays taxman PS215k to avoid bankruptcy - Dec 06, 2008
- Gazza is off alcohol, keen to unite with family - Feb 21, 2009
- Gazza brands ex-wife Sheryl a wicked vulture - Feb 25, 2009
- HobNob munching Gazza says cheating death in crash beat booze addiction - Aug 21, 2010
- Gazza given nine-week tax breather to fend off bankruptcy - Nov 07, 2008
- I'm A Celeb reality show bosses kick Gazza out, replace him with ex-wife - Oct 24, 2009
- Gazza devastated after son disowns him - Dec 29, 2008
- No end to 'glazed and legless' Gazza's drinking woes - Nov 05, 2010
- Gazza to spend Xmas in rehab - Dec 10, 2008
- Gazza slams ex-wife Sheryl for "using him" - Oct 18, 2009
- Russell Brand's dad faces bankruptcy - Aug 07, 2012
- Gazza fears he may have to ask his family to sell homes he gave - Jan 11, 2009
Tags: bankruptcy, craig montgomery, daily star, football star, gazza, glos, holiday homes, horses, london jan, nine weeks, paul gascoigne, portsmouth, regan, rehab centre, setback, sobriety, solicitor, sporting chance, taxman, tv documentary