Gazza has no hopes left; friend predicts death within a yearJune 7th, 2009 - 5:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 7(ANI): One of retired English footballer Paul Gascoigne’s closest pals has said on Saturday that the soccer star, who suffers from pneumonia, alcoholism, mental illness and personal legal problems, will die within a year.
“Paul will have a complete organ breakdown,” said Stephen Purdew.
Purdew reckons Gazza, who is undergoing therapy for bulimia, obsessive- compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder, and alcoholism, is in a far worse condition than George Best was a few months before he died.
“Just as I said about George, if Paul does not get his act together now, he will be dead within the year,” Stephen said.
Stephen had cared for George Best at his Champneys health spa chain and made a grim prediction about Best less than a year before he suffered multiple organ failure in 2005, The Sun reported.
Stephen had arranged for Gazza’s recent stint in rehab, in January and February ,at Tony Adams’ Sporting Chance Clinic.
“Addiction can be conquered if you’ve got support around you. You can make more effort than Paul has. When you make no effort, there is no sympathy,” he added.
Now he feels Gazza has wasted that opportunity, along with his many previous attempts to sort himself out.
Earlier, a home video clip of Gascoigne appeared in a documentary screened on Channel 4 called Surviving Gazza, which depicted his family’s efforts in 2008 to help and rehabilitate him.
The conclusion at the end of the documentary was that their efforts had failed, and Paul’s alcoholism had continued despite a stint in rehab. (ANI)
- Gazza goes bike riding, enjoys kickabout with nephews to prove he's fit - Jun 08, 2009
- Gazza's eight-week jail sentence suspended by Newcastle court - Dec 10, 2010
- HobNob munching Gazza says cheating death in crash beat booze addiction - Aug 21, 2010
- Gazza taking George Bests pals help to battle addiction - Dec 24, 2008
- Drinking himself to death is Gazza''''s greatest fear - Feb 27, 2009
- Gazza guzzles 40 cans of beer during 13-hour booze-bender - Sep 26, 2009
- Gazza faces Christmas behind bars after failing to appear before court - Nov 12, 2010
- 'I'm an alcoholic, I'm ill, but I'm not a bad person,' says Gazza - Aug 23, 2010
- Gazza, Greaves, to undertake stage show - Mar 24, 2011
- Post rehab, Lovato still self-harms - Mar 08, 2012
- Gazza ticked off after street kick about with nephew - Aug 24, 2010
- Gascoigne back in rehab following cocaine arrest - Oct 25, 2010
- Gazza's drink-driving charge dropped - Feb 11, 2011
- Witness' failure to attend court delays Gazza 'drik-driving' care for 3rd time - Dec 14, 2010
- Professor Green creates a stir with his bulimia tweet - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: addiction, alcoholism, bipolar, champneys health spa, channel 4, documentary, footballer, gazza, home video, mental illness, obsessive compulsive disorder, organ failure, pals, paul gascoigne, pneumonia, rehab, soccer star, sporting chance, stint, video clip