Gazza determined to beat his drink, drugs demonsJanuary 24th, 2009 - 4:55 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 24 (ANI): Fallen soccer idol Paul Gascoigne has declared that he is finally beating his drink and drug demons, and insisted that he is feeling great.
Gascoigne, who has spent nearly three weeks in rehab at Tony Adams Sporting Chance clinic, said his three children are the inspiration for his recovery.
Daryl Punnett, a guest, said the ex-Tottenham and Newcastle midfielder opened his heart to him, The Sun reported.
I feel great and I am determined not to let this beat me. Right now I am in the best place I have been for a very long time. There is still a long way to go but I feel Im back and on the mend, Gazza told Daryl.
Gazza has struggled to stay off the booze since his glittering soccer career ended.
He has had a series of failed stints in rehab and was sectioned three times under the Mental Health Act.
Daryl added that Gazzas adopted kids Bianca, 22, and Mason, 19, and the stars own son, 12-year-old Regan, give him hope.
Gazza told Daryl: They mean the Earth to me and thats whats spurring me on. Im so proud of them and I want them to feel the same way about me.
Daryl saw Gazza in the gym at the clinic in the grounds of Champneys in Liphook, Hampshire.
He looks fit and healthy and must now be in his best shape physically since his playing days, he added.
Gazza has been wearing a special jacket in rehab fitness sessions to help him sweat more.
The Sun reported this week how fellow ex-pro-turned-filmstar Vinnie Jones wants Gazza to star in a reality TV show he is planning. (ANI)
- HobNob munching Gazza says cheating death in crash beat booze addiction - Aug 21, 2010
- 'Sick man' Gazza wants 12-week rehab programme to work - Jul 22, 2010
- 'I've already died twice,' says Gazza - Mar 11, 2011
- Drinking himself to death is Gazza''''s greatest fear - Feb 27, 2009
- Gazza accused of 'groping shopgirl' - Jul 20, 2010
- Gazza has no hopes left; friend predicts death within a year - Jun 07, 2009
- Gazza's eight-week jail sentence suspended by Newcastle court - Dec 10, 2010
- Gazza hoped to bed Anne Robinson after seeing her at gym - Jul 23, 2009
- Gazza brands ex-wife Sheryl a wicked vulture - Feb 25, 2009
- Facing jail time for drunk driving, Gazza now wants to be an actor - Nov 10, 2010
- Gazza faces Christmas behind bars after failing to appear before court - Nov 12, 2010
- Gazza vows he'll never marry again - May 17, 2009
- No end to 'glazed and legless' Gazza's drinking woes - Nov 05, 2010
- Amy Winehouse is Gazza's 'ideal woman' - Jul 07, 2010
- 'I'm an alcoholic, I'm ill, but I'm not a bad person,' says Gazza - Aug 23, 2010
Tags: booze, champneys, demons, fitness sessions, jan 24, liphook, london jan, mental health act, midfielder, newcastle, paul gascoigne, reality tv show, regan, rehab, soccer career, sporting chance, stints, three times, tottenham, vinnie jones