Gazza back to his boozing waysJune 4th, 2009 - 1:55 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 4 (ANI): Troubled former football star Paul Gascoigne, who swore off the booze six months ago because he was drinking himself to death, stumbled out of first class so plastered, that he could barely walk.
His Geordie oldest mate, real name Jimmy Gardner, was waiting on the platform to meet him in Newcastle and grabbed the former England idol’s arm to stop him from falling over.
Shocked passengers watched as Gazza, 42, clung to his buddy for support and reeled to a bench.
He then sat slumped for five minutes until Five Bellies, 46, hauled him to his feet and led him to a waiting limo, The Sun reports.
The alcoholic slurred: “I feel sick.”
The Newcastle launch of a five-a-side tournament for ex-pros, which Gazza was meant to attend, took place while he was on the train from London.
King’s Cross station commuter Mark Pearson, 37, spotted him catching the noon train which arrived in Newcastle at 2.58 after hearing someone cry: “Look, it’s Gazza - and he’s absolutely smashed.”
The star was leaning on another man for support.
Mark, from Stevenage, Herts, said: “I’ve never seen anyone so drunk. He fell over his own holdall but the man managed to catch him. It took him five minutes to walk 20 yards to hand his ticket to the inspector.”
Gazza, who in a previous bender had to be revived when his heart stopped, quit booze in December and checked into rehab.
Three months ago he told The Sun he had feared for his sanity after two plastic parrots became his best friends. (ANI)
- Now, Gazza abandoned by best pal Gardner - Jun 06, 2009
- No end to 'glazed and legless' Gazza's drinking woes - Nov 05, 2010
- Gazza's eight-week jail sentence suspended by Newcastle court - Dec 10, 2010
- Gazza ticked off after street kick about with nephew - Aug 24, 2010
- Gazza accused of 'groping shopgirl' - Jul 20, 2010
- HobNob munching Gazza says cheating death in crash beat booze addiction - Aug 21, 2010
- 'Sick man' Gazza wants 12-week rehab programme to work - Jul 22, 2010
- Facing jail time for drunk driving, Gazza now wants to be an actor - Nov 10, 2010
- Gazza's drink-driving charge dropped - Feb 11, 2011
- Gascoigne back in rehab following cocaine arrest - Oct 25, 2010
- Community cop 'ran sleazy sex parlour with wife' - Oct 18, 2010
- Witness' failure to attend court delays Gazza 'drik-driving' care for 3rd time - Dec 14, 2010
- Gazza checks into rehab again - Jul 15, 2010
- Gazza goes bike riding, enjoys kickabout with nephews to prove he's fit - Jun 08, 2009
- Maradona offers to help Gazza kick booze habit - Mar 21, 2009
Tags: bellies, bench, bender, best friends, booze, cross station, first class, five minutes, football star, herts, holdall, launch, london king, mark pearson, newcastle, noon train, parrots, paul gascoigne, sanity, three months