Gazprom unveiled as Champions League sponsorJuly 10th, 2012 - 3:17 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia’s state-run gas giant Gazprom has become an official partner of the Champions League football tournament through 2015, UEFA has announced.
The company, the largest natural gas extractor in the world, is seeking to promote its brand more heavily, and joins Heineken, UniCredit, Ford, MasterCard and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe as sponsors of the continent’s premier club competition.
No value was announced for the partnership contract Monday.
“Gazprom is not only the largest gas company in the world, but is also one of those most passionate about football,” UEFA quoted Gazprom CEO Alexey Miller as saying.
“Now we have joined the UEFA Champions League - the leading European club football competition. I am sure this cooperation will improve Gazprom’s reputation and advance our brand awareness to a fundamentally new level on the global scale.”
The three-year deal will run until the end of the 2014-15 season, and includes sponsorship of the UEFA Super Cup in 2012, 2013 and 2014.
Gazprom is heavily invested in sports, sponsoring Russian Premier League champions Zenit St. Petersburg, German Bundesliga side FC Schalke, Serbian SuperLiga team Red Star Belgrade, hockey team Avangard Omsk, and cycling Team Katusha, among others.
Last month’s Champions League final between Chelsea and Bayern Munich had a reported global television reach of 300 million viewers.
- Gazprom unveiled as UEFA Champions League sponsor - Jul 09, 2012
- Gazprom inks sponsorship deal with Chelsea - Jul 18, 2012
- Russian gas giant may sponsor Bayern Munich - Dec 23, 2011
- Tbilisi to host 2015 UEFA Super Cup - Jul 01, 2012
- No extension option in Capello's contract: Russia FA - Jul 22, 2012
- UEFA withholds prize money for 23 clubs - Sep 11, 2012
- Bayern's Tymoshchuk considering his options - Jul 08, 2012
- Zenit can win Champions League in two years: Malafeev - Sep 09, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russia fined 120,000 euros for crowd trouble - Jun 14, 2012
- Gazprom offers gas price discounts to EU firms - Jun 28, 2012
- Russia seals missile deal - Mar 20, 2012
- Russia's Gazprom world's most profitable firm in 2011 - Jul 31, 2012
- Denmark's Bendtner fined and banned for ambush marketing - Jun 19, 2012
- Own goal saves Spartak's blushes in RPL - Jul 22, 2012
- Walters happy for Ireland to win anyhow against Spain - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: bayern munich, champions league football, club competition, club football, cycling team, football competition, football tournament, gas giant gazprom, gazprom, german bundesliga, global television, katusha, league champions, partnership contract, premier club, red star belgrade, ria novosti russia, sony computer entertainment, sony computer entertainment europe, uefa champions league