Gayle’s return to Windies squad stalledMarch 20th, 2012 - 4:17 pm ICT by IANS
Bridgetown (Barbados), March 20 (IANS/CMC) A proposed move that would have seen the return of talismanic opener Chris Gayle to the West Indies team and ended his year-long impasse with the West Indies Cricket Board has been stalled.
A high-level meeting in St. Vincent earlier this morning, chaired by the country’s Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves and involving WICB chief executive Ernest Hilaire, WICB president Julian Hunte and Gayle, had been expected to produce a solution.
However, a source close to the negotiations in St. Vincent told CMC Sports that while a deal had been reached and agreed to by the WICB and CARICOM, Gayle was yet to sign off.
CMC Sports understands that the deal would have seen both Gayle and the WICB acknowledging that mistakes had been made during the impasse, but agreeing to move forward in the spirit of compromise.
The deal would have seen Gayle available for the current series against Australia which ends April 27.
Gayle, however, is contracted to play for Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League which runs from April 4 to May 27 and for Somerset in the English County Twenty20 tournament.
The IPL clashes with both the current Australia tour and West Indies tour of England from May 5 to June 24.
CMC Sports understands that Gayle is keen on fulfilling all his contractual international T20 obligations.
Speculation was rife during the second One-Day International Sunday as word slowly emerged that talks were ongoing to find a settlement to the dispute.
Gayle, who attended the funeral for the late Runako Morton in St. Kitts Saturday, was present for the game at Arnos Vale triggering further speculation he could suit up as early as Tuesday for the third match of the series.
The dominant left-hander has not played for West Indies since the World Cup quarterfinal against Pakistan last March, after being sidelined for his controversial public criticism of the WICB and team coach Ottis Gibson.
He had been mandated by the board to withdraw his comments before he could be considered for selection but the player refused.
- Gayle resolves issue with WICB but uncertainty remains - Apr 06, 2012
- Gibson staying out of Gayle-WICB fracas - May 03, 2012
- Caricom to intervene in Gayle-WICB dispute - Jul 04, 2011
- Players association welcomes Caricom's initiative on Gayle - Jul 05, 2011
- Chris Gayle recalled after high-level meeting - Jun 05, 2012
- Windies Board pleased with Gayle's commitment - May 11, 2012
- Gayle brings quality to the side, says chief selector - Jun 06, 2012
- WICB playing mind games, Gayle charges - Oct 26, 2011
- Gayle doesn't rule out playing in third Test - May 30, 2012
- West Indies Board insists Gayle must withdraw comments - Oct 20, 2011
- Gayle meets West Indies Cricket chief to thrash out issues - Aug 24, 2011
- Gayle wants end to Windies snub, says Caricom must step in - Jul 02, 2011
- Hilaire to quit top WICB job for diplomatic posting - Jul 04, 2012
- Holding lambasts WICB, Gibson over handling of senior players - May 25, 2012
- Australia tours West Indies from March 16 - Nov 12, 2011
Tags: arnos vale, australia tour, caricom, challengers, chris gayle, hilaire, hunte, impasse, left hander, public criticism, quarterfinal, ralph gonsalves, runako morton, t20, team coach, twenty20, west indies cricket, west indies cricket board, west indies team, wicb