Gayle’s presence was icing on memorable century: SamuelsJuly 8th, 2012 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
Kingston (Jamaica), July 8 (IANS/CMC) Stroke-maker Marlon Samuels said Saturday his first international century in the Caribbean had been made even more special by the presence of fellow Jamaican Chris Gayle.
The right-handed Samuels stroked an exquisite, unbeaten 101 and shared 129 for the third wicket with Gayle who got 125, as the West Indies beat New Zealand by 55 runs in the second One-Day International at Sabina Park.
“I played exactly the way I wanted to today. Chris set the stage with his awesome power at the top of the innings and then I was able to come in and add the finishing touches,” Samuels said.
“It was an enjoyable day for me and the team. It was special to do it with so many people who have done so much for me in my life watching.
“It is my first hundred in the Caribbean, the others have been away. The other have been out of my ‘comfort zone’ … this one has been in my ‘comfort zone’.
“I hadn’t batted with Chris for a while, so batting with him today was wonderful and we played well together.”
Samuels’s innings epitomized grace and elegance as he counted seven fours and a six in an innings that lasted 103 balls.
The century was his third in ODIs but only the first in the last six years, and Samuels said he dedicated the knock to his country which was celebrating 50 years of political independence.
“This is the 50th anniversary of Jamaica Independence so I’d like to say ‘happy anniversary to my people, my entire country’,” he declared.
Gayle, who has served as a mentor to Samuels over the years, said witnessing the landmark by his long-time friend had been a special moment.
“I felt he played really well and I’m happy for him. He is a quality player and to see him get a hundred after I got one earlier in the innings is something special,” Gayle beamed.
- Black Caps say Gayle's wicket is key to winning series - Jul 09, 2012
- Gayle hoping to give home fans special treat - Jul 05, 2012
- Samuels eyeing prolific series after warm-up T20 century - Oct 11, 2011
- Brilliant Gayle, Samuels give West Indies 2-0 lead - Jul 08, 2012
- It's not all about me in West Indies, says Gayle - Jul 11, 2012
- We must look to repeat performance: Gayle - Jul 01, 2012
- Rejuvenated Dwayne Bravo eyes Test return - Jul 05, 2012
- West Indies bring back Darren Bravo for T20 World Cup - Aug 23, 2012
- Gayle leaps to fourth in T20 rankings - Jul 03, 2012
- Samuels puts West Indies on course for victory - Aug 05, 2012
- Chris Gayle puts controversy behind him - Jun 16, 2012
- Gayle could return as Jamaican captain - Oct 05, 2011
- Simmons keen to play in ODIs against England - May 09, 2012
- New Zealand nose ahead despite Samuels' century - Aug 04, 2012
- Injury prone Jerome Taylor to play in SPL - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: 50th anniversary, bs, chris gayle, comfort zone, elegance, finishing touches, happy anniversary, kingston jamaica, landmark, long time friend, mentor, odis, political independence, quality player, sabina park, samuels, six years, special moment, west indies, wicket