Gayle wins WIPA cricketer of the year awardJune 6th, 2011 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
Port of Spain, June 6 (IANS) Overlooked by national selectors, former West Indies batsman captain Chris Gayle was named the 2010 West Indies Players Association (WIPA) Cricketer of the Year.
At a glittering eighth annual First Citizens WIPA Awards at Queen’s Hall, St Ann’s, Gayle won the award ahead of fellow nominees Shivnarine Chanderpaul, West Indies captain Darren Sammy and all-rounder Dwayne Bravo.
Gayle also won the WIPA Test Match Player of the Year award, ahead of Chanderpaul, Sulieman Benn and Kemar Roach.
The Jamiacan thanked god and sent a special thanks to Trinidad and Tobago and West Indies opener Adrian Barath, who he said was an inspiration to him as an opening partner on the regional team.
“I feed off of him a lot and it is a big inspiration for me to see a youngster dominate the bowling at the other end. It inspires me to do well,” Gayle said during the event, which was attended by Dave Cameron, vice-president of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB).
Gayle was left out of the series against India after he criticised the selectors in a radio interview for leaving him out of the earlier series against Pakistan. The WICB said that the big-hitting batsman will not be recalled until he explains his radio interview comments against selectors.
Trinidad and Tobago all-rounder Kieron Pollard won the One-Day International Player of the Year trophy.
- WICB refuses contracts to Gayle, Sarwan, Bravo, Pollard - Oct 05, 2011
- Gayle, Bravo left out of the first Test against India - Jun 18, 2011
- Brathwaite sole newcomer in Windies squad for Bangladesh - Sep 22, 2011
- Barath, Rampaul recalled for 5th ODI as Gayle ignored again - Jun 15, 2011
- Badree gets nod ahead of Benn in Windies squad - Jun 25, 2012
- Lack of will to end Gayle standoff with WICB: Dujon - Nov 08, 2011
- West Indies looking to cause ripples (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 12, 2011
- Six changes to Windies A-team for one-dayers against India A - Jun 27, 2012
- West Indies Cricket Board accused of non- transparency during team selection - Apr 18, 2011
- 'Conspiracy to get rid of Gayle, Sarwan' - Dec 11, 2011
- Netherlands elect to field against West Indies - Feb 28, 2011
- No Chris Gayle in West Indies squad for India - Nov 01, 2011
- Ramnarine resigns as WIPA president - Mar 27, 2012
- Frustrated Gayle may turn away from West Indies cricket - Jun 17, 2011
- Samuels, Bishoo, Kirk Edwards get WICB contracts - Oct 22, 2011
Tags: barath, captain chris, chris gayle, dave cameron, first citizens, international player, interview comments, jamiacan, kemar, national selectors, port of spain, radio interview, regional team, s gayle, sulieman, test match, trinidad and tobago, west indies cricket, west indies cricket board, wicb