Gayle meets West Indies Cricket chief to thrash out issuesAugust 24th, 2011 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
Bridgetown (Barbados) Aug 24 (IANS/CMC) Estranged West Indies opener Chris Gayle met with West Indies Cricket Board chief executive Ernest Hilaire in Antigua Tuesday, in yet another attempt to thrash out lingering issues that have kept the Jamaican opener out of the regional squad.
An official source confirmed to CMC Sports that Hilaire and Gayle sat down at the WICB headquarters in a meeting lasting just over an hour.
CMC Sports understands the tone of the meeting was cordial.
Gayle was unaccompanied at this meeting, in contrast to the previous one back in June when he was represented by members of players union WIPA. Hilaire, too, was unaccompanied.
The left-handed Gayle was overlooked for the recent one-day and Test series against India after failing to settle differences with WICB management, arising from controversial comments he made in a highly charged interview with a Jamaican radio station earlier this year.
Then, he accused the board of failing to supervise his rehabilitation from injury following the Cricket World Cup and was also heavily critical of Hilaire, head coach Ottis Gibson and captain Darren Sammy.
The June meeting in Jamaica, involving WICB’s director of cricket Tony Howard, team manager Richie Richardson, and Gibson, was highly contentious and the parties failed to reach a resolution.
- Gayle wants end to Windies snub, says Caricom must step in - Jul 02, 2011
- Holding lambasts WICB, Gibson over handling of senior players - May 25, 2012
- Frustrated Gayle may turn away from West Indies cricket - Jun 17, 2011
- Windies board, players' association talks progress - Jun 22, 2012
- Gayle's return to Windies squad stalled - Mar 20, 2012
- West Indies Board insists Gayle must withdraw comments - Oct 20, 2011
- Richardson to mediate in West Indies cricket controversy - Jun 10, 2012
- Gayle remains in limbo as uncertainty continues - Sep 18, 2011
- Ramnarine ready to negotiate despite WICB reservations - Jul 02, 2011
- WICB playing mind games, Gayle charges - Oct 26, 2011
- Gayle doesn't rule out playing in third Test - May 30, 2012
- West Indies coach Gibson wants to renew contract - Sep 12, 2012
- Gibson staying out of Gayle-WICB fracas - May 03, 2012
- Gayle resolves issue with WICB but uncertainty remains - Apr 06, 2012
- Governments' role crucial in Windies cricket, asserts Dominica PM - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: barbados, bs, chief executive, chris gayle, cmc, controversial comments, cricket world cup, gibson, head coach, hilaire, India, jamaica, jamaican radio, radio station, sammy, station earlier this year, test series, west indies cricket, west indies cricket board, wipa