Gayle leaps to fourth in T20 rankingsJuly 3rd, 2012 - 4:41 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, July 3 (IANS/CMC) Big-hitting opener Chris Gayle has vaulted 12 spots into the top five of the International Cricket Council (ICC) Twenty20 International batting rankings, less than two weeks after returning to the West Indies colours following a two-year exile.
In the latest rankings released Monday, the 32-year-old Gayle was fourth behind new No.1, England’s Eoin Morgan, the Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) reports.
The movement for Gayle comes after he plundered half-centuries in both Twenty20 Internationals against New Zealand in Florida last weekend.
The left-hander stroked an explosive 85 from 52 balls as the West Indies won the first game by 56 runs on Saturday and followed up with a measured 53 on Sunday as the Caribbean side carved out a convincing 61-run victory.
Only nine days ago, Gayle played his first T20I for the West Indies in two years after ending a stand-off with the West Indies Cricket Board that also saw him barred from Tests and One-Day Internationals.
In four innings since his return, the Jamaican has lashed three half-centuries.
Gayle has also moved up three places to sixth in the all-rounders rankings led by Australian Shane Watson.
The next highest ranked West Indies batsman is all-rounder Dwayne Bravo who jumped five places to 30th.
Morgan, meanwhile, eased up two spots to overhaul New Zealander Martin Guptil at the top of the rankings.
In the bowlers’ rankings, captain Darren Sammy is the highest ranked West Indies player at 12th, with England’s Graeme Swann at the top.
- Rejuvenated Dwayne Bravo eyes Test return - Jul 05, 2012
- Narine breaks into ICC top 20 - Jul 25, 2012
- Smith, Gayle enable West Indies beat New Zealand - Jul 06, 2012
- We can go all the way: Chris Gayle - Sep 13, 2012
- Black Caps say Gayle's wicket is key to winning series - Jul 09, 2012
- Gibson, Sammy welcome Gayle's return - May 04, 2012
- Gayle hoping to give home fans special treat - Jul 05, 2012
- Best, Russell called up for Jamaica ODIs - Jul 02, 2012
- Narine bursts back as Windies clinch series - Jul 02, 2012
- Win has shifted momentum, says New Zealand skipper - Jul 13, 2012
- West Indies need to make winning start: Gayle - Jun 30, 2012
- We must look to repeat performance: Gayle - Jul 01, 2012
- Chanderpaul digs in at top; Samuels, Roach also move up - May 23, 2012
- Brilliant Gayle, Samuels give West Indies 2-0 lead - Jul 08, 2012
- Gayle returns to Sydney for Big Bash T20 - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: batsman, caribbean media, caribbean side, chris gayle, day internationals, dwayne bravo, eoin, first game, guptil, icc twenty20, international cricket council, left hander, new zealander, nine days, rounder, shane watson, swann, twenty20 international, west indies cricket, west indies cricket board